Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Has there ever been a quilt that you loathe (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/has-there-ever-been-quilt-you-loathe-t261673.html)

DresiArnaz 02-23-2015 09:21 AM

Has there ever been a quilt that you loathe

so much that you couldn't bear to work on it?

Mine was "Road to Oklahoma" queen size double batting. Too big for the machine so I just tied it but it was awful!

I gave it away but I probably should have killed it with fire! : )

bearisgray 02-23-2015 09:57 AM

If you learned some things inthe process of making it, then there were some positives!

ManiacQuilter2 02-23-2015 10:00 AM

I have a Double Wedding ring stash away. I KNOW I will never work on it. I should try to find a friend to pass it on to so that it will eventually get finished. Maybe I will donated it to the auction of unwanted items at the local quilt guild. Fund raiser, maybe someone will love it.

nygal 02-23-2015 10:00 AM

Yes, it was a Stack N Whack that I took lessons to make at Joann Fabrics. I disliked the fabric I chose. They didn't have much to choose from at the time. I did make it into a quilt top in three days but I still to this day don't like it at all.

Onebyone 02-23-2015 10:08 AM

I have had several that I got the tops made but decided they were too butt ugly to finish. I put them in the free for all box at our guild. I sometimes see one finished by a member and it is still ugly. All I learned making them is I don't mind getting rid of something I don't like.

DogHouseMom 02-23-2015 10:19 AM

Yup. The very first full size quilt I made. Up to that point I had only made pot holders and table runners, then I selected "Bento Box" as my first pattern as I was told it was easy. It was easy, even with the mistake in the pattern that I caught and worked around. The problem was that I didn't yet understand how colors and values (mostly values) work in quilts, or in that pattern in particular. The end result is a very muddy colored quilt that doesn't do the pattern justice. To make matters worse, I thought a cool way to quilt it would be to use an embroidery stitch with metallic thread - without knowing HOW to do that (ie, now I know to use A) a walking foot, and B) a metallic needle). I have it about 3/4 way quilted before I finally put it aside in disgust.

But I learned a LOT from that disaster!!

Gramie bj 02-23-2015 10:20 AM

Bargello!(am sure it is miss spelled) loved the design, and ok with the colors, but all those seams that needed to be lined up. I think I was the only one to see them but they drove me crazy! Got so sick of that thing, finally donated it for guild scrap quilts. Life is too short for all the extra drama.

DresiArnaz 02-23-2015 10:31 AM

Sometimes those quilts you put away for a decade or two don't seem so bad later. Time goes by and people change.

I had an old precut that was given to me over 25 years ago. I never worked on it because the colors just seemed so dull and lifeless.

It's a dresden plate with khaki and white striped/white blades. I only started working on it so I could practice before diving right back into it.

I put it on a cream color background and it was really kind of meh until I started quilting it. It looks really good quilted. Just hoping the blocks go together okay(QAYG)at the end.

I we t through a bad patch and almost got rid of everything. So glad I got past it now.

PaperPrincess 02-23-2015 02:16 PM

One of my mom's favorite sayings was "nothing is more discouraging than a half finished garment". I just change the last word to quilt!
I usually wind up disliking everything while I'm working on it. In process projects never seem to be fulfilling my 'artistic vision' :p. However, I usually press on and I'm almost always happy with the finished product.

BonnieI 02-23-2015 02:46 PM

I saw on PBS where they cut up ugly quilts and added them to a new project. It was really interesting.