Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Hate Binding Quilts! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hate-binding-quilts-t171911.html)

Glenda m 12-13-2011 04:46 PM

I like to bind my quilts. And my LA Quilter gives me a little off the price, because she doesn't like to do bindings either. LOL Just send them my way and I will do them. Again LOL

decky 12-13-2011 05:05 PM

I hate to bind my quilts/wallhangings. When I do bind I use a leather thimble which I find is the best for me. I couldn't use a metal one or those little dots.

ChaiQuilter 12-13-2011 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Kitsie (Post 4778176)
Many of us (and more every day) machine bind with very good results. I didn't learn from a tutorial, but I'm sure there are many. One thing that really helped my binding was to only pin a bit at a time of the binding to the quilt when first sewing it on. It sews on nice and flat and you don't have to "scrunch" or pull it to fit. Sew it to the back first, fold it over and use a decorative stitch on the front:[ATTACH=CONFIG]295281[/ATTACH]

Why wouldn't you sew it on to the front and then decorative stitch it to the back? I think it looks nicer that way.

knlsmith 12-13-2011 06:03 PM

There is a tutorial on here for glue basting binding. I think amma did it. I use it all the time! I have factory hands. Always sore. Since I started doing it this way I don't mind it at all! :)

M.I.Late 12-13-2011 07:07 PM

I always machine sew on the front and hand sew the back. There are many great tutorials for the binding. Is it really the binding you hate or the connecting of the ends of the initial binding that you hate? Are you using bias every time or sometimes straight grain? Straight grain is easier if it's just square. Bias is necessary if you're edges are scalloped. Look for tutorials on the entire internet not just here. There are many great ones.

auntpiggylpn 12-13-2011 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by crafterrn1 (Post 4778156)
Hum well I love to bind my quilts. That being said I understand not wanting to finish the binding. I have 2 suggests. I hope will work. First one is Pat Sloan has a tut for machine binding. She never ever hand sews binding check it out. Second I look at binding as the final act to finishing my quilt. I enjoy hand work. I watch/listen to TV as I work and before I know it I am done. Yes the mitered corners are a challenge. I use The Binding Gizmo. Since I started to use it I have no lumps or bumps in the binding and usually I have good corners. I hope this helps.
http://www.nancysnotions.com/product...ok+and+tool.do
Luann

Crafterrn1 - Thanks for the info about Pat Sloan tut! I checked it out and I think I will give it a go! 3 quilts to finish before Christmas, this will definately speed things up!

BETTY62 12-13-2011 07:46 PM

I do not like to sew anything by hand so I pay my friend to hand sew the binding down. I know that's sad but it's the only way I would ever see a quilt totally finished.

hperttula123 12-13-2011 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by karenpatrick (Post 4778179)
I don't like binding a quilt either but dislike it less since I started doing both sides by machine using some of the decorative stitches on my sewing machine. I've even though of going into business doing bindings since so many quilters seem to hate it so much. But i don't know if there would be a demand in my area.

You should go into business. If there was someone around here, I would love to have them do bindings for me. I love to sew, quilt...everything but doing the bindings. I usually let them pile up until I have a bunch to do and then I have no choice but to do it :(

Murphy 12-13-2011 08:01 PM

You can actually hire it down for a very reasonable price (smile). I think many people don't like this.

GrannieAnnie 12-13-2011 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by kbishburg (Post 4778082)
I love to quilt but hate doing the binding. I have tried 3 methods (including the Binding Thingy) and I keep reverting to
the old tried and true overlap method. But then I don't like the way it looks unless I hand sew it. I made 6 quilts for the Holidays and still have 4 more to bind. I have worn a blister on the middle finger of my right hand because I am thimble challenged. How do others cope with binding blues?

If I were next door, I'd do the binding for you. Ideal TV watching job!