Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Have any of you seen such a thing? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/have-any-you-seen-such-thing-t276778.html)

meyert 03-16-2016 03:43 PM

Have any of you seen such a thing?

I am finishing up a quilt that is yellow and grey. I would love to be able to put the binding on with a variegated thread that was yellow and grey. Has any of you seen such a thing? I have looked but couldn't find any. I can always try grey bobbin and yellow on top????

Eva Knight 03-16-2016 03:56 PM

You can also thread your machine with 2 threads. One Yellow, one gray. Thread the machine as though you do with 1 thread and put both threads into the eye of the needle. This does work, I have done it.

jmoore 03-16-2016 05:33 PM

Eva, interesting idea and now you have my curiosity... I will have to try two threads sometime.

GEMRM 03-16-2016 05:45 PM

You might have to use a needle with a little bigger eye. But it can be done!

Jan in VA 03-16-2016 08:24 PM

Cool, Eva Knight!! Learning all kinds of new tricks and ideas tonight, it's great!

Bree123 03-16-2016 09:01 PM

I bought Bari #4651 by Aurifil thinking it was going to be pinkish/purple, white & pale yellow. As it turns out, in spite of how it looks on the spool, quilted you can barely tell it's pink because it is SUPER pale (almost white), the white reads as a dirty white & the yellow is a bit brighter than I expected. If you don't need an answer until Friday morning, I can run a piece of yellow fabric & a piece of grey fabric through my machine with the thread so you can get an idea. It would help if you could post something that shows the 2 fabrics so I can try to match them from my stash.

quiltingshorttimer 03-16-2016 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Eva Knight (Post 7496048)
You can also thread your machine with 2 threads. One Yellow, one gray. Thread the machine as though you do with 1 thread and put both threads into the eye of the needle. This does work, I have done it.

Yes--there's a King Tut that is a varigated yellow/gray.

Claire123 03-16-2016 10:53 PM

I would really like to add to my very small stash of variegated quilting thread. Yellow and gray sounds nice. Another thought I had was somehow using two spools in the needle. I have heard of using a metallic with invisible for strength, so maybe something along that line would work.

meyert 03-17-2016 02:40 AM

Yes--there's a King Tut that is a varigated yellow/gray.
I looked at King Tut, but I didn't see one. Do you happen to know the name or number?

I will be giving this a try - thanks!

quilterpurpledog 03-17-2016 03:05 AM

I have used the technique of threading two threads through the needle for decorative sewing. It looked very nice. I used a 90/14 topstitch needle. I used threads that were quite different in weight and it had a great effect.