Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Have been asked to teach two new quilters (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/have-been-asked-teach-two-new-quilters-t212399.html)

Maggie_Sue 01-29-2013 02:23 PM

Have been asked to teach two new quilters

Have been doing instructions on embroidery machine for a couple of years, very comfortable with that. But what you do for a first class? Both want to make quilts, but I think starting with a table runner or wall hanging would be the best thing to do. Need to get them piecing first, and get a project finished to instill confidence. Any suggestions for a first project? Thank you for any suggestions you may have.

grma33 01-29-2013 02:40 PM

i have just completed a basic and signed up for 1 a month for 6 months embroidery class
we learned how to bring in 3 designs to put together in our softwear and save and set up a file learned how to hoop
then we stitched design on a towel
my next class is tomorrow nite can hardly wait
the teacher is a saint as everyone had different softwear!
Gale

irishrose 01-29-2013 02:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If they want quilts, then I'd go with quilts. I think quilts are more forgiving than table runners or wall hangings. A minor boo boo in a quilt won't show as much because they are used crumpled, usually. Baby quilt? Med size lap quilt? No bed quilts. My 13 yo Gd insisted a quilt and refused simple nine patches. She did what is probably a square in a square and did a fantastic job. One corner is a teeny bit off. I was jealous! [ATTACH=CONFIG]391653[/ATTACH]

dunster 01-29-2013 03:28 PM

I agree, start with a lap quilt or baby quilt using a simple pattern. Teach how to use a rotary cutter, how to make a scant 1/4" seam, how to press the seam, measure for borders, make binding, etc. I started with Yellow Brick Road.

lindy-2 01-29-2013 04:14 PM

simple like a log cabin or 9 patch lap or baby size

QuiltingGrannie 01-29-2013 04:33 PM

I'm teaching basics as if they have never quilted before ( one of my students has never sewn before). I teach how to use the tools, what to look for in fabrics, how to read a pattern, how to cut, 1/4 seams, pressing, etc.
And how to make a small sampling of different blocks that then go into a wall hanging. We are making 9 different simple blocks. But that's just me.

Maggie_Sue 01-29-2013 05:44 PM

Thank you for the suggestions. Had not considered that a quilt might be easier. Think I will give them an option of a baby quilt or lap quilt for starters. Both want to eventually make a KING and Queen size quilt. Ambitious ladies.

Irish Rose your DGD quilt is beautiful!!

Bamagal 01-29-2013 05:55 PM

The quilting class I took 30 years ago did a crib quilt of six 12 in blocks. Each block was a litte more difficult and each taught a different concept. One of the six was a simple appliqué a heart i think and one was leymoyne star with set in blocks. I think we also did churn dash, Dutchman's puzzle, Mexican star and Bowtie It was fun!! The rest is history!!