Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Have Question on Directional Fabrics and Triangles (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/have-question-directional-fabrics-triangles-t294000.html)

ILoveToQuilt 01-12-2018 04:07 PM

Have Question on Directional Fabrics and Triangles

This is probably a "dumb" question, but how do you make sure the pattern on a fabric is going in the direction you want it when sewing triangles: specifically, the fabrics used for flying geese backgrounds. I am using a fabric that has tiny triangles and I want the points of the triangles to point upwards, not angled at all. I have tried and tried and tried and I can't seem to get the points facing the same direction as the point of the "goose". (If you think of a compass, I want the little triangles on the fabric to point north). Hope this makes sense. Can anyone help??? Thanks in advance!

Terry in the ADK 01-12-2018 04:31 PM

Not as easy as it may look. Perhaps you could make a transparent template and use it. I don't think you could multiple cut these, but actually cut them individually, fancy cutting them, if you will. What are you making?

PaperPrincess 01-12-2018 04:55 PM

I hope someone will have a better solution than mine, but the only way I've accomplished this was to make twice as many. Half the triangles will have the print going the 'wrong' way, but you will have a jump start on your next project!!
It also drives me nuts when the pattern goes in different directions. I thought I was the only one!

maminstl 01-12-2018 04:57 PM

I think you just have to do a sample and figure it out. My method is usually try one, and if it doesn't work try something else:)

Teen 01-12-2018 05:20 PM

This happens for me, as well. If I have directional issues that I am aware of before I cut, then I layer my fabric going the same way and stack with right side facing up with all layers. Then I cut and they all come out the same way. Takes some forethought.

edit to add: If you have already cut the strips out of fabric, before you subcut, cut the strips at the fold, turn them right side up, layer so design is same direction of each strip.

EasyPeezy 01-12-2018 09:09 PM

Try this. The stripes for the little triangle on the right should face East (Left)
and those for the little triangle on the left should face West (Right).
That's assuming your flying geese is pointing North.
Otherwise, you can use a piece of paper and draw a flying geese, mark the stripes
then fold them down and you will see in which direction your fabric
needs to be positioned. Hope this makes sense.

zozee 01-13-2018 12:30 AM

I feel your pain, which is why I try very hard to avoid directional prints. I can't stand flowers growing "downward" or sideways , or houses turned on their side, or animals on their backs. HA. Drives.Me.Nuts.

But I like Teen's suggestion. I'd try that one first if it were up to me--but I'd experiment with paper first. (Draw triangles all over a few sheets of paper, then figure it out.

QuiltingNinaSue 01-13-2018 07:31 AM

Eleanor Burns has a book on flying geese on a curve. I have it with a printed 'paper piecing' pattern and the ones he started on. Don't remember the name, but if you go to her site www.quiltinginaday.com you should find it.

Kassaundra 01-13-2018 07:54 AM

When I'm doing directional, I make templates with freezer paper and draw arrows on the paper side in the direction I want it to go. I lay out the freezer paper and if I can figure out an easy way to cut w/o the templates all the better for me, but if not just press the freezer paper to the fabric and fussy cut. Usually you have to do the old single method of sewing instead any of the multiple ways, like the no waste 4 at a time method for FG for example.

klswift 01-14-2018 08:29 AM

Do not cut multiple layers and lay each piece on your cutting area in the same direction. I put a piece of tape at 2 spots on my cutting mat at key spots and use these to line up fabric. I make tree skirts with 12 sections and often use a stripe that I want to be exactly straight. It is a bit more time consuming, but I do not have to recut pieces!