Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Have you done this before? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/have-you-done-before-t254649.html)

Celeste 10-01-2014 04:20 PM

Have you done this before?

I've been away from sewing for a while and recently took a bag out with a quilt project I had already started on.

I couldn't believe my eyes!

I had taken three strips of each color as if they were one and sewed them to another set of three strips. I then cut them up then put them away.

Taking the seam ripper to them will be nothing compared to matching the squares and resewing them individually instead of the strip method. Especially since I'll get three times the work done with one batch. Even chain sewing them doesn't make it seem more attractive.

I guess it's good I stopped when I did - - what if I didn't notice when I went to sew those to each other?

Cari-in-Oly 10-01-2014 05:40 PM

Maybe that's why you put them away to begin with? More than once I've put something aside when I made a mess of it only to bring it out sometime later and wonder what I was thinking.

Cari

quiltmouse 10-02-2014 10:00 AM

I had to read it several times, but I finally got it.

Oh, dear! What a mess. Offer it in the pay it forward? Someone on limited income might enjoy the fabric & project.

You must have been very tired, or suffering a huge emotional stress when you did it.

bearisgray 10-02-2014 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by quiltmouse (Post 6912600)
I had to read it several times, but I finally got it.

Oh, dear! What a mess. Offer it in the pay it forward? Someone on limited income might enjoy the fabric & project.

You must have been very tired, or suffering a huge emotional stress when you did it.

I still don't quite "get" what she did - but apparently it wasn't what she meant to do!

quiltmouse 10-02-2014 10:03 AM

You are under no obligation to the fabric, you know.

Under the "sunk costs" concept, the money was spent when you spent it. If fixing the problem is more pain in the neck than its worth, then don't. You don't owe it to yourself or the money you spent THEN to fix it.

quiltmouse 10-02-2014 10:04 AM

She took a stack of three fabric strips, and sewed them to another stack of three strips, then cut them.

It isn't usable the way it is, it's 6 fabrics sewed together on one edge.

Greenheron 10-02-2014 11:58 AM

Would you like to sew them together randomly and then slice them again and connect the 'slices' to make a border?

tessagin 10-02-2014 12:06 PM

That's an idea!

Originally Posted by Greenheron (Post 6912742)
Would you like to sew them together randomly and then slice them again and connect the 'slices' to make a border?

Onebyone 10-02-2014 04:20 PM

I still don't get it. My mind has to have some kind of visual. :eek:

ragamuffin 10-02-2014 06:43 PM

Make a Fence Rail quilt out of it, just type in the title and see what I mean. Hope you can salvage it.