Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Have you ever been embarrassed by your earliest quilting efforts? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/have-you-ever-been-embarrassed-your-earliest-quilting-efforts-t274101.html)

Sheilz 01-04-2016 07:07 AM

Have you ever been embarrassed by your earliest quilting efforts?

3 Attachment(s)
I was at Christmas. My DIL asked if I could launder my grandson's quilt which I made him three years ago, since my machine has a larger drum. I cringed when I saw the state of it - not dirt - the state of the sewing and quilting :thumbdown:. If it had been scrutinised by a proper quilter it would've been given a big fat 'F' :shock: In my defence it was the first thing I had ever made having never used a sewing machine before, nor had I been taught to sew. At school I preferred Latin to boring 'homecraft'!. Even so, it was really bad. The jelly roll I used wasn't too badly sewn to make the top but the back - it was bad, very bad - squint bulky seams from the odd sized pieces of fleece I'd cut from the whole which had been big enough to make a whole back :shock: while the quilting was at best non-existent the rest looked like I'd downed a bottle of Scotch beforehand.
Over the past couple of days after washing it, I stripped the quilt back and re-made it. Ironically or perhaps on a positive note, there was no sign of it falling apart. Would've been handy if it had to make the stripping process easier! Lucas is now looking forward to reclaiming his super cosy quilt just in time for winter weather arriving. [ATTACH=CONFIG]539381[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]539382[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]539383[/ATTACH]

PaperPrincess 01-04-2016 07:14 AM

It's a wonderful quilt. Glad you had an opportunity to 'upgrade' it!

Stitchnripper 01-04-2016 07:15 AM

Well I am confused. Are the pictures after you redid it? It looks great. My guess is your grandson loved it even before and wouldn't have noticed a quilting "issue"!!!!

Dina 01-04-2016 07:27 AM

I think you are too hard on yourself. It looks great. And your grandson loves it....nothing else matters except the love you put in it.

Dina

hoprigmom 01-04-2016 07:48 AM

Your quilt looks terrific! Your grandson will cherish this quilt.

tessagin 01-04-2016 07:54 AM

I am confused also. Are the photos from before or after? It looks great. Often the first is the most cherished because it was made with the intensity of the love of a grandchild.

Dina 01-04-2016 07:58 AM

Okay, now I realize your pictures are the repaired quilt. It looks great! (I still suspect you were too hard on yourself....or look at it this way....think how much you have improved!!)

Dina

ManiacQuilter2 01-04-2016 08:01 AM

Our first projects we all cringed at. I was lucky to have sold one of my first quilts I made in a double size for $100.

willferg 01-04-2016 08:30 AM

Don't look down on your first quilts – it takes them to get you to where you are now...

Mariposa 01-04-2016 08:34 AM

We all began somewhere......Nice "fix", and surely your GDS will have many snuggles with it! :)