Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Have you ever been scared of trying a new thing, tried it and felt foolish later? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/have-you-ever-been-scared-trying-new-thing-tried-felt-foolish-later-t218146.html)

dray965 04-03-2013 07:48 AM

Have you ever been scared of trying a new thing, tried it and felt foolish later?

I have. I had a large piece of material that I needed to cut--one way to big for any ruler or my table. I'd read on here that tearing it was the best way to go...especially if you wanted it to be square. i was so scared of ruining my material and just kept putting of trying this technique. I just gritted my teeth and kept measuring, marking, measuring, marking, ad nauseaum. LOL

I finally did it!!! And it worked just like many of you said. I'm soooo happy. No more of that hard, time-consuming stuff for me. Just going to tear-away.

Don't you just love the people here? I've learned soooo much from all of you.

I'd be interested in hearing your experiences of what frightened you for the first time.

Dray

craftycancer 04-03-2013 07:53 AM

I have, i am finally comfortable with FM it looked like the hardest thing in the world to do; messed up some material but once i got the concept it was easy as pie! happy sewing

Milli 04-03-2013 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by dray965 (Post 5974960)
I have. I had a large piece of material that I needed to cut--one way to big for any ruler or my table. I'd read on here that tearing it was the best way to go...especially if you wanted it to be square. i was so scared of ruining my material and just kept putting of trying this technique. I just gritted my teeth and kept measuring, marking, measuring, marking, ad nauseaum. LOL

I finally did it!!! And it worked just like many of you said. I'm soooo happy. No more of that hard, time-consuming stuff for me. Just going to tear-away.

Don't you just love the people here? I've learned soooo much from all of you.

I'd be interested in hearing your experiences of what frightened you for the first time.

Dray

Yes I have and still am, but that's how we all learn, sharing on this boards teaches me lots.

quiltstringz 04-03-2013 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by craftycancer (Post 5974971)
I have, i am finally comfortable with FM it looked like the hardest thing in the world to do; messed up some material but once i got the concept it was easy as pie! happy sewing

Well I won't say it is as easy as pie although come to think of it pie isn't that easy for me so maybe so. This was my biggest fear. However I loved piecing and couldn't afford to send my quilts out so I just told myself to DO it or quit. Happy to say it turned out ok, and have kept on going.

AliKat 04-03-2013 04:33 PM

I am glad I have a selective memory because I can't seem to recall ever trying something then felt awkward when it wasn't as hard as I expected. I know it has happened, I just can't recall it right now.