Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Have you ever bought a full bolt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/have-you-ever-bought-full-bolt-t50245.html)

Gramof6 06-20-2010 10:00 PM

Full bolts of Muslin? I use bleached & unbleached in my piecing or for borders and I get the wide widths for backings. I buy it by the bolt @ JoAnn's with a 50% coupon. I only get the Kona Muslin though. It is nice! :thumbup:

C.Cal Quilt Girl 06-20-2010 10:02 PM

Have bought Full bolts of Kona muslin, for backs and to have extra on hand. I load it on my mid arm and is just easier that way, I'm also rural W/no shop nearby, always use a coupon 40-50%off, Did buy somthing else once and realized when I began loading it there were 2 splices, yes it went back to the store, they were nice enough to take care of the problem.

craftybear 06-21-2010 12:08 AM

awesome thread, and where do you usually buy the full bolts from???

Rose Lee 06-21-2010 06:01 AM

I buy the good quality muslin in 90 wide and use it for the back of my quilts, the back of potholders, placemats, wall quilts, etc.

Boston1954 06-21-2010 10:45 AM

No, but my sister bought 36 the last time she went to Marshalls. Yikes. I don't think I have ever even bought 36 YARDS at any one time. (I would if I had the money)

lynsue 06-21-2010 02:29 PM

Yes, (early before I really was into quilting) "insisted I wanted a bolt of muslin for a Catheral Windows that I 'just' had to make". Never did get it made. I think my quilt shop realized I was just a little to anxious back then. I did finally get it. Never did get the Catheral Windows quilt made. BUT, I'm glad I have it, I've used the fabric now and glad to have the bolt.

Linda

irishd 06-21-2010 06:03 PM

I buy most of my material at Walmart. I check every 2-3 weeks for sales and I get some terific buys for 1.00 a yd. Yes, I buy the whole bolt. Irishd

butterflywing 06-21-2010 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by C.Cal Quilt Girl
Have bought Full bolts of Kona muslin, for backs and to have extra on hand. I load it on my mid arm and is just easier that way, I'm also rural W/no shop nearby, always use a coupon 40-50%off, Did buy somthing else once and realized when I began loading it there were 2 splices, yes it went back to the store, they were nice enough to take care of the problem.

i don't remember where i got them, but i did buy some kona mini-bolts (6 yards) online not too long ago. since i had no project in mind, i stuck with red, white, and black. the price was right.

Vanuatu Jill 06-21-2010 10:23 PM

I have purchased several bolts-mostly muslin, and tone on tones which I use for backing and background for applique. I always buy when I have a 40-50% coupon(mostly at Joann's. You'd be surprised how much use you get from a bolt of say, light green tone on tone, besides just backing for a quilt. I have purchased 108" wide muslin as well with the coupon. I even bought a whole box (roll) of fusible web (75 yards) with a 50% off coupon, which I have so far used about 3/4 of. As there are always coupons available at least monthly (at least, at Joann's) and sometimes mail order at Hancock's.com, I can't see paying full price for them. It basically gives you 1/2 of a bolt for FREE!

zz-pd 06-22-2010 01:45 AM

I don't get to buy fabric. God bless. Penny