Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Have you ever bound a quilt then added more quilting? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/have-you-ever-bound-quilt-then-added-more-quilting-t268271.html)

quiltingbuddy 08-01-2015 08:08 PM

Have you ever bound a quilt then added more quilting?

I thought I had done all the quilting I wanted to do and am ready to bind, but now I think I want more quilting on it. Is there any reason this would be a problem?

Melanie Rudy 08-01-2015 08:16 PM

The only reason would be if you were quilting right at the edges when the binding is already on. Otherwise, no problem.

amandasgramma 08-01-2015 08:39 PM

Ditto....if you're doing it on a longarm, you might baste some fabric on the top and bottom so you can roll it onto the machine. If you're quilting it on a DSM, go for it! :) I've done it!!!!

ManiacQuilter2 08-02-2015 04:08 AM

Ditto. I have a friend who is moving that has been helping me with hand sewing my binding. So unless the stitching goes off of the edge of the quilt, go for it. Not a problem

PaperPrincess 08-02-2015 04:49 AM

Not a problem. The only issue may be you might have to square the quilt up a bit due to denser quilting.

quiltingbuddy 08-02-2015 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess (Post 7274499)
Not a problem. The only issue may be you might have to square the quilt up a bit due to denser quilting.

Oh good point, I would not have thought of that. Hmmn.

Gail B 08-02-2015 05:57 AM

I have added extra quilting with absolutely no problem.

JT 08-02-2015 06:08 AM

I have taken the binding off a quilt to enlarge the quilt, because of new mattress and box springs. I then added the new border, batting, and backing and quilted it on my domestic machine. Reused the binding, adding more length as needed. Not a fun job, but doable.

I also added additional border to a quilt that I had just completed on my long arm, because I decided I liked it more than I thought I would and wanted it on my bed, (requiring more border), versus the guest bed. That was trickier, because of the quilting and needing to load it on the long arm, quilt the side borders...add the top and bottom borders, then load it again on the long arm, quilt the top and bottom borders.

I'll try not to do that again, but it is doable.

maviskw 08-02-2015 06:14 AM

The last quilt I made was glued front, batt and backing. When I put that on my DSM for quilting, that puts a lot of pressure on the edges and sometimes they come apart before you get there. So the best thing is to sew around the outside to hold everything together. When it is all glued, it handles like one layer of fabric. So why not put the binding on then?
I did just that. I put the binding on before I started quilting.
Worked very well.

lynnie 08-02-2015 12:16 PM

I've added extra quilting, no problem. I do hand quilting so I've added it in the border or even in the center.