Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Have you ever or can you ? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/have-you-ever-can-you-t203236.html)

mbailey 10-15-2012 12:28 AM

Have you ever or can you ?

I have been given alot of polyester material, But i do not know if u can use it to make quilts with or not. i am going to be making quilts for vets and childern fighting for cancer. i havent seen the material yet my sister picked it up last night and will be delivering to me today. i here there is ALOT OF YARDAGES. I know someone will have an answer for me.
thank you
mary

JustAbitCrazy 10-15-2012 01:06 AM

You sure can use it to make quilts. If it's something very fluid, or stretchy, just don't try anything with small pieces. Keep it simple, with larger pieces. I know lap quilts made with the old double knits are sometimes very much appreciated by elderly people who can't move around alot, because they are very warm. They also wear like iron, last forever, and still look great. Have fun, and you get an "Attagirl!" for your charitable efforts.

scrappingfaye58 10-15-2012 02:16 AM

I have one made with double knit that was cut in squares. My Mom made it for me when I married my ex... (30+ yrs ago!!!) It is very heavy and VERY WARM... I think it will make great utility quilts (made for warmth and durability)

ArtsyOne 10-15-2012 03:46 AM

Yes you can. Whether the fabric is knit or woven won't make much of a difference. If it's woven, it'll be a bit lighter in weight than good quilters cotton, but you can use it in the same way.

Pink Lady 10-15-2012 04:17 AM

Some of the homes here love to get touch quilts that are made of lots off different fabric with different textures. This gets the residence different textures to run their hands over soft ,dots ,lines ect. We even use fake fur:)

Iamquilter 10-15-2012 05:14 AM

I use fabric like that all the time to make charity quilts.You can use a simple pattern like a Trip around the World or just use the blocks randomly and they will look pretty.

jillnjo 10-15-2012 05:17 AM

The quilts made of any poly will far outlast the cotton ones! Very good for service type quilts. Have fun.

dunster 10-15-2012 05:36 AM

As others have said, yes you can. Lots of quilts are still with us that were made before cotton was readily available in the range of patterns and color that we now enjoy. However, be aware that some organizations will accept only quilts made with 100% cotton. Don't let that discourage you, since there are lots of other organizations that love and value poly quilts.

NikkiLu 10-15-2012 05:37 AM

Hi "mbailey" - welcome to the QB from a fellow Missourian - Lebanon here - never heard of Farber. A friend of mine made me a double knit quilt - front and back - many years ago and we take it with us to put on bleachers at our favorite dirt track race track - it is VERY HEAVY and very stiff - dont think that I would want a two-sided double knit quilt of any size. But, I do not know what she used as filling - she had her own long-arm machine and machine quilted it. HTH

Lori S 10-15-2012 05:47 AM

Poly can make some of the most durable quilts. Depending on the thickness of the fabric ... consider the thicker the fabric ( double knits) the larger the pieces should be. The heavy thick double knit type poly can be very difficult to work with in small pieces. Consider opening the seams if the fabric is bulky or intersecting seams will be very thick.
Do lower your iron temp... as poly melts at a cotton setting. Poly does not crease as well so some find it frustrating that they can not get that crisp seam press.