Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Have you ever cut up shirts... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/have-you-ever-cut-up-shirts-t63182.html)

gollytwo 09-06-2010 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by quilting.addict
I have the opportunity to get dozens of dress shirts before they hit the trash at someone's home. Looking for opinions...is it worth the effort of cutting these up (I know...that's the ONLY way they used to make quilts!), or should I just work out of my stash for the rest of my life??? :roll: anyone have a good plan for shirt squares??

take them
I saw a quilt years ago using shirt fabric for a block that was a shirt front with added buttons and a tie.
Wonderful fun looking quilt

ckcowl 09-07-2010 06:18 AM

i start with removing all the buttons and adding them to my amazing button collection then i cut apart all seams, leaving everything as large as possible. i save pockets to use for pockets in totes/purses; i save the front placets, collars and cuffs for trim uses for totes/purses, other craft projects the rest of the fabric is added to my stash to be used for what ever. if a shirt is very thin...i still save as much of it as possible, never know when i may need a piece of foundation fabric, or i can use it to practice something without cutting into 'good-fabric' ... so, rescue those shirts! there is a wealth of fabric available in them.

leatheflea 09-07-2010 07:24 AM

Cut em! Goodwill is overstocked. I buy cloths there just for quilts. Its much cheaper than buying by the yard at the store. They've had their day being worn now let em move on to bigger and better things! Cut em!

Twisted Quilter 09-07-2010 07:47 AM

When I first started quilting I saved shirts for some 'future' project. Now I'm running out of storage space so I have to stop. :thumbdown:

aorlflood 09-07-2010 08:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This quilt was made from cut-up thrift store shirts. (Smokey Mountain Stars pattern from www.quiltville.com)

Ms Grace 09-07-2010 08:13 AM

Loretta,
Your quilt is beautiful! :-D

leiladylei54 09-07-2010 08:18 AM

A very dear friend just recently told me that when her father passed away, a friend took her father's old Aloha shirts and turned the pieces into a quilt for her and one for her mother. It's a very treasured memory of her father.

raedar63 09-07-2010 09:13 AM

You know around hear the charity places are overflowing with clothing and often will not even take donations at times. The local thrift stores (not goodwills) are charging so much for secondhand items that people who need it are unable to shop there.I would not feel guility about cutting them up.Especially if local charities as they are here are are overflowing......

DeniseP 09-07-2010 09:16 AM

I would use them if the fabric is still good. Make sure you save the buttons, too!

raedar63 09-07-2010 09:34 AM

I love this pattern,especially made with the plad's.