Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Have you ever cut yourself with a rotary cutter?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/have-you-ever-cut-yourself-rotary-cutter-t144895.html)

caspharm 08-13-2011 11:44 AM

Yes, I almost sliced off a piece of my right thumb (I'm left handed)with the original rotary cutters when I was making a boy doll for my then 2 year old son (he's 25 now). He was running around and I didn't pay attention to what I was doing. DH was at work. Luckily, our friend lived next door and took us to the hospital to have stitches put in my thumb. This occured before I started quilting.

Now, I use the retractable Olfa and still try to be very careful.

spartan quilter 08-13-2011 11:54 AM

Yes, after many years of using a rotary cutter, I finally dut a chunk out of my middle finger Don't ask me how I missed my index finger and hit the middle, but it really bleed. I live too far from ER and so I just taped it up, and went back to cutting, being a whole lot more careful now. I really need to invest in a better cutter. Like one that has a sensor when it leaves material and goes airborne toward human skin. Do they make such a thing? lol

annthreecats 08-13-2011 11:55 AM

No injuries here. Glad you got away with just a nick. Please be careful. Those babies are so sharp.

LivelyLady 08-13-2011 11:55 AM

A week ago I did the same thing, except I took a small chunk out of my left index finger. They couldn't stitch it so I wore a big honkin' bandage for a week. The funny thing is I have a big handle which I make my young grandaughters use and which I will use now. Just a small slip can really ruin a few days :thumbdown:

klc 08-13-2011 12:02 PM

I seem to do more damage to myself with pins. I'm always getting myself good. I have to keep bandaids close by.

hobo2000 08-13-2011 12:07 PM

Twice,a hunk of left side of thumb and right side of index finger. I went right out and bought two new pressure sensitive rotary cutters. Immediately dropped one on my bare foot, wow, nothing happened. That made a believer out of me.

caliquocat 08-13-2011 12:12 PM

Quilting is a dangerous sport!

susie-susie-susie 08-13-2011 12:18 PM

I have run into my fingers--no damage. I dropped the cutter on my bare foot--no damage. I tend to use dull blades. Too cheap to change them often. I'm like klc I do more damage with pins and needles. I'm always sewing my finger into the project. I also have a spot on my middle finger that the needle always finds. It doesn't bleed, just hurts with every stitch and I have a lot of trouble with a thimble. Poor Me!!
Sue

Tartan 08-13-2011 12:20 PM

Gave my fingernails a manicure once. Scared me enough that I'm super careful now!

qbquilts 08-13-2011 12:23 PM

a couple of times over the years. Most recently was in the spring while getting ready for a quilt retreat. While it looked bad, it really was not that bad of a cut and within a couple of days I could go without the bandaid.