Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Have you ever done this? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/have-you-ever-done-t279454.html)

Misty's Mom 06-10-2016 04:40 AM

Have you ever done this?

I have a quilt that I ordered off the internet quite awhile back. It's in really good shape, but I don't care for it anymore. So, my question is, have any of y'all used something like this instead of batting in your quilts? Obviously I'm talking about everyday quilts, not heirloom or show quilts. Also, I have a down alternative quilt/blanket that slides off the bed and was thinking about using this also on another quilt. Both are in great shape, I just don't care for them anymore so they're stuck in the closet. I also will be quilting on my LA.

sewbizgirl 06-10-2016 04:48 AM

Tho I haven't done this personally, I know that it was done a lot by our predecessors. Bonnie Hunter just showed a quilt on her blog that had worn spots where you could see it was made over another quilt underneath. That was probably done when old quilt fabrics wore out but the batting was still good.

I have to say tho, if your quilt is in good shape it seems a shame to use it for batting. If it were me, I'd donate the quilt and buy new batting for a new quilt instead. Someone, somewhere, needs that quilt and will love getting it.

ManiacQuilter2 06-10-2016 04:55 AM

My only concern would be the thickness of the quilt, Have you thought of making a duvet cover instead???

marge954 06-10-2016 02:01 PM

I have a quilt that was probably made in the 1930's. One edge is frayed and you can see two more quilts inside. That quilt has to weight 5 pounds and my husband refuses to sleep under it. Unless someone saw it and wanted it I probably would make a new top and lightly quilt it so it would be of some use.

bj 06-10-2016 04:24 PM

If you like repurposing things...my friend once took an old quilt and made it into a really pretty coat. She had enough left to make a vest to wear with jeans.

Claire123 06-10-2016 07:23 PM

I have not. I have heard of it being done. Could you cut it up and make it into something else?

quiltingcandy 06-10-2016 09:09 PM

My great grandmother used wool blankets as batting.

DOTTYMO 06-10-2016 09:24 PM

I used a blanket in a quilt and it was very heavy. I have never heard of using an old quilt as batting it sounds very interesting. Not sure I would do it.

quiltingshorttimer 06-10-2016 09:26 PM

I have a wool crazy quilt that is backed with a flannel blanket and who knows what's in between! It's so heavy that sleeping under it is not comfortable.

What do you mean by down alternative? If it has actual down in it I think it would be a pain to quilt--plus beard something fierce. Do yo mean a poly?
one consideration would be the of whether the print onthese would show through. I'd probably just donate to someone that needs a blanket.

Mkotch 06-11-2016 02:32 AM

I keep the first quilt I ever machine quilted in my car, just in case. We use it for picnics, to cushion antiques we buy, etc. But if I didn't want to keep it, I'd give it to Goodwill