Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Have You Ever Heard Of This? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/have-you-ever-heard-t53902.html)

Twisted Quilter 07-11-2010 09:22 AM

I was folding my new stash and noticed that most pieces have a 3" square cut from them. I was thinking that the previous owner probably cut a piece from each to catalog in a binder. This way, she could look in her binder instead of going thru her bins when looking for fabric. Sounds like a pretty good idea to stay organized. Does anyone do this? It sort of makes sense to me.

shequilts 07-11-2010 09:25 AM

I recently read an article in one of the mags that suggested doing just that. It would be a great way to match up new "finds". Unfortunately, mine would like an old Sears catalog when I got through. Imagine hauling that around with you!

virtualbernie 07-11-2010 09:26 AM

Years ago I saw a lady with a huge notebook cutting and pasting swatches of fabric as the saleslady was cutting her fabric! Thanks for that reminder! I meant to start doing that but forgot all about it although I would wait until I got home to do it!

gollytwo 07-11-2010 09:27 AM

I did it for years, but with c. 1 1/2" pieces. Stapled to a page for each type then into three hole binders
e.g. - repros, Holidays, batiks etc.

Stopped doing it a couple of years ago, as I rarely looked at it.
Now I store my fabrics by type into large rubbermaids

craftybear 07-11-2010 09:27 AM

sounds like a good idea and keep the selvage with the piece of fabric so you would always know the maker in case you need to find more later on, could but them in a binder by manufacturer name

Originally Posted by Twisted Quilter
I was folding my new stash and noticed that most pieces have a 3" square cut from them. I was thinking that the previous owner probably cut a piece from each to catalog in a binder. This way, she could look in her binder instead of going thru her bins when looking for fabric. Sounds like a pretty good idea to stay organized. Does anyone do this? It sort of makes sense to me.

Luv Quilts and Cats 07-11-2010 09:28 AM

She may have also cut the pieces to take with her to shops to fine pieces that match. I have done that too.

amma 07-11-2010 09:29 AM

There are members that do that... I could never be that organized :oops:

fabric_fancy 07-11-2010 09:39 AM

i have a digital database of all my fabric.

i take the pic, list the name, color, and where its located in my stash.

sewcrafty 07-11-2010 09:40 AM

I actually years ago went through all my fabric and cut out 3" squares. It was sooo long ago I actually forgot about it. Don't even know whats happened to them!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

bearisgray 07-11-2010 09:42 AM

The person might have been doing a charm quilt - every piece is the same shape, but of a different fabric.

I have a triangle cut out of ever-so-many fabrics when I was doing that. Didn't know about trading at the time. :?