Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Have you ever started a project that you thought would be easily done? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/have-you-ever-started-project-you-thought-would-easily-done-t187819.html)

MaryMo 05-01-2012 07:03 PM

I organized some of my stash .... and wouldn't you know it - I can't find a piece of fabric that I had set aside for a specific purpose. It will show up, but ......
Congratulations to you for getting through all that organization! and to DH for helping!

Grandma Peg 05-01-2012 07:46 PM

These projects do take forever and then it's a little depressing because you rather be sewing. But you room will look so muchnicer when you are done.

Silver Needle 05-01-2012 08:03 PM

I bought some large flat Rubbermaid totes that kinda/sorta stack. Then I keep all the stuff for each project (read UFO here) together. But the people who cut all scraps into strips or squares right away so they are ready for next scrappy project just take my breath away. I'm going to use some garment (not 100% cotton) fabric and make place mats etc. "Note to self buy more totes for UFOs no, I mean projects).

hopetoquilt 05-02-2012 12:49 AM

Put the radio on. It will keep you moving. Use a large ruler to ruler fold fabric. It will miraculously reduce the "bulk" of the fabric. You can also put a "free offer" post on this site and offer it for pick up only. Lots of schools have quilt clubs for the kids and would love to get the fabric.

leatheflea 05-02-2012 04:44 AM

I feel your pain! I did the same thing earlier in the year. What I thought would take a day took a week to sort and get back to normal. Hang in there you'll love the results!

Termi 05-02-2012 07:18 AM

I'm a newbie and have looked at block patterns and thought they would be so easy. Not!

ShirlinAZ 05-03-2012 06:19 AM

Sounds like you are feeling a bit down, maybe like you are losing your mother again. Take a deep breath. Think about how Mom would want all this fabric to be used by someone. Do you have a local senior center or home where folks who can't afford to buy fabric might use it or at least fondle and love it? Relax and enjoy the time you are spending with your mother, who is undoubtedly beside you. Then let it go. I am sorry for your loss.

bunbytes 05-03-2012 06:37 AM

Still cleaning my sewing room. There is a pile of junk in the hallway. Husby has been very patient. I'd rather do my projects!

QM 05-03-2012 06:40 AM

Good luck!!! You do have a task ahead of you.

linkd 05-03-2012 07:15 AM

I was just sorting through some old fabric - from prequilting days and I found a cut out maternity top, never sewn. My son will be 27 next month, my first grandchild is due in August and the fabric is 100% cotton. I think I will stick a couple of squares in a baby quilt as a private joke. (in my defense - my son was seven weeks early!) Cleaning/sorting/restashing never takes "just a couple of hours" when there are memories involved, but I'm not sure that's such a bad thing.