Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Have you ever.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/have-you-ever-t189804.html)

qwkslver 05-24-2012 04:50 AM

I for years only made the tops. I was driven by the cost of the quilting and inability to find someone to quilt for me to buy a midarm. I have considered myself a quilter ever since I first started trying to sew my first nine patch. Being a quilter is in your heart. If it brings you joy no matter how you accomplish it, you're a quilter. I wouldn't have wasted my time listening to the argument either. Good for you.

jcrilley 05-24-2012 04:54 AM

Just had a woman at church tell me, after seeing a quilt that I had donated to local American Legion, that it wasn't "really a quilt unless it was hand quilted". By the way, she does not quilt at all. Another example of how you have to be really tough to belong to a church!

katesnanna 05-24-2012 05:27 AM

Every one's entitled to and usually has an opinion. I'd have left too. Life's too short and I have too many quilts to make.

Happy Linda 05-24-2012 05:36 AM

It's funny you should ask. I had the most amazing winter with a quilt group this winter UNTIL the quilt show. Some of these ladies turned into know-it-all, "I'm better than you", rude people. I was shocked and may not recover for a long time, maybe ever. I can't go into any more detail. Very sad.

Cheshirecatquilter 05-24-2012 05:43 AM

In the olden days, was a young girl who had to have 13 quilts before marriage less than a quilter if the whole village of ladies sat around the frame quilting her quilts for her?

GrannieAnnie 05-24-2012 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by MarLeClair (Post 5237984)
I was at an Int'l Quilt Show and a saleswoman wanted to show me a long arm. I told her I did not enjoy that part of the process and I can't remember her exact words but she insinuated that I buy my quilts. I was insulted to say the when I walked away but it has stuck in my head. I REALLY don't enjoy getting the quilts together. I REALLY enjoy making the tops. Why would I do something I don't enjoy! By the way, I love doing binding.

Actually, my favorite part is deciding on patterns, colors, fabrics. But I do enjoy making the top and the binding. The in-between is someone else's job.

Steady Stiching 05-24-2012 05:55 AM

You're only a real quilter if you hand quilt using a needle you whittled out of a whale bone using thread you spun from your own cotton plants.....while breast feeding a 5 year old ....LOL

Looks like you had a bad encounter with the quilt police!

AZ Jane 05-24-2012 05:56 AM

I can relate LOL!!

Originally Posted by NikkiLu (Post 5237727)
My EX daughter-in-law told me one time that her mother did not think that "anybody" (meaning me) was not a quilter unless they cut out fabric with a scissors and had hand pieced and hand quilted a quilt - as she did. Actually she had to go to her church sewing group once a week and use their tables to cut out her fabric because she could not find a square inch in her house clean enough to lay a piece of fabric - HMMMMM

lillybeck 05-24-2012 06:31 AM

I learned a long time ago not to debate things that are irrelevant. I do what I do because I love giving them to family and friends. Even after all this time I am still not as good as many younger people on here but I am a quilter no matter how I cut my fabric or sew it together

sherryl1 05-24-2012 06:52 AM

I am whatever I say I am.Don't listen to those old quilt biddies.