Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Have you ever (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/have-you-ever-t59194.html)

tooMuchFabric 08-13-2010 10:22 PM

I've seen a purse made out of an empty Community Coffee Louisiana Blend bag - !!

BarbaraTX 08-14-2010 04:47 AM

I hope I don't get banned because this is a little off topic, but it has to do with the recycling part of this thread. When my mom was alive and living in a senior complex in another state, all the residents would wait in the lobby for the mailman to come. I started sending her "naked mail". I took a plastic placemat and on the back side, drew a line down the middle and used it like a post card, her address on the right side, and a note on the left side. One time, I sent her some small things in a coke bottle (lay it on it's side, cut a slit lengthwise, fill with goodies, put the address label over the slit, glue the lid on). I had these really tiny (about 1.5 inch) gift cards - I wrote "hi mom, love Barbara", and kept putting it in larger envelopes. I ended up with 11 envelopes. She said when she got it, she thought it was a piece of fabric I told her I was mailing her. After about the 3rd envelope, everyone stopped and watched her open all the envelopes, they all laughed. I would send her a card about once a week and fill it with different kinds of confetti. The other residents were always anxious to see what I would send. Mom has passed and I miss her so very much - I'm glad I was able to put a little sunshine in her last years. (sorry this is so long).

grannysewer 08-14-2010 05:13 AM

I love your thoughtfulness and you gave your Mom so much happiness with you clever ideas in her last days.

wvdek 08-14-2010 05:20 AM

As I sit here eating my cereal, I now have my laugh and my joy for the day. Thanks all for making my morning.

wvdek 08-14-2010 05:20 AM

As I sit here eating my cereal, I now have my laugh and my joy for the day. Thanks all for making my morning.

laurac 08-14-2010 05:26 AM

can't remember which one, i think better homes and gardens, quilting magazine has a piece about making bags out of dog food bags. saw it at walmart but didn't buy it or read it so i don't know if they tell you how to get the smell or greasy feel out of them.

CarrieAnne 08-14-2010 05:43 AM

I have seen the totes made with the bird food bags, some of them have such pretty pictures! I love to recycle. We us Purina here and the bags do stink, but the stuff they are madefrom sure is STRONG!

mollymct 08-14-2010 05:55 AM

You are right that the bags are strong! But my dogs' food is salmon based at the moment and don't know that I could ever get the fishy smell out. You've got me thinkin', though, that this bag surely isn't recyclable...I'll put my thinking cap on and find some other use for it!

freezeframe03 08-14-2010 06:22 AM

This thread was great fun to read and laugh out load this morning. Very silly stuff but the one about possibly needing to mail the dog really set me off! And, BarbaraTX, what awesome fun ideas! I hope I can remember these ideas later. Gotta go google naked mail now.

Dingle 08-14-2010 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by janRN
Here's the ultimate in recycling: before cutting the grass my DH has to de-poop the yard. Last week I looked out and he was putting it in the empty dog food bag. Is that the meaning of the saying "what goes around comes around"?

This is what my Husband does. Those bags are tough. I'm trying to figure out how my dogs can eat 50# of food but reture 100# of .....well you get the picture :shock: