Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Have you ever taught quilting? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/have-you-ever-taught-quilting-t40408.html)

laceybritt 03-23-2010 06:02 AM

When I first started a training postion I was nervous. But it is so different than just giving a speech in front of a group.
They will be working and not just staring at you lol!!!
But trying to teach a quilting class with kids running around, bless you!

Quilter7x 03-23-2010 06:19 AM

What part about this is bothering you? Is it standing in front of a group of people or preparing something for them or maybe fear of the unknown? See if you can figure that out, cause there's something about this that's really eating at you.

I love the idea of calling many friends to take the class so you will know some of the students. They will encourage you during class. I really think you'll do just fine. Have faith! You'll realize after class that there's no other place for you than heaven. :)

Up North 03-23-2010 06:26 AM

I never cared for the idea of teaching either but when I was working I was the leader of the mom's group and we did crafts. They all loved it. I find that if you pretend to know what you are doing it goes easier and trying to figure things out as you go to make it easy for them to do. Don't panic, (I hated group day) I always made it through and had so many compliments from the mom's and staff that I was proud of having been able to do it. It really is easier than it sounds. Just have fun!!

MamaBear61 03-23-2010 06:28 AM

I am sure that you will make a great "teacher". To teach is in it's simplest form is leading by example just as Jesus did. I say that not only should you ask the priest to participate, but I am sure that there are other male members of your parish that would enjoy and probably be very good at some or all of the quilting steps. GOOD LUCK!!!

tinwoods 03-23-2010 06:33 AM

If you take it one step at a time and break up the projects into small lessons it goes smooth. I make up samples of the different lessons and go through them once for everyone and then help anyone who is stuck after that. If the group is filled with all levels of experience then suggest that a newbie sit near the experienced quilter. And I rarely get to sew on the days I teach.

cuppi duke 03-23-2010 06:59 AM

I say go for it and thank your stars that your priest is encouraging you. Do you want to trade priests. We'll take him, he sounds like he is helpful. I have seen your work and you do an excellent job and will do great.

PurplePassion 03-23-2010 07:11 AM

Maybe the Priest wanted to learn how to make a quilt and was embarrassed to ask anyone. So he wanted to make up a reason to have a class.

zyxquilts 03-23-2010 07:27 AM

I think you're going to do fine Karen!
I'm terrible at standing in front of people & talking - I often forget to breathe! LOL - but I have taught a workshop at my quilt guild & that was a LOT of fun :D I would suggest a rail fence for your first one - I think it's one of the easiest patterns. I even made a pattern for the Rail Fence that my friend used to teach her *non-sewing* DIL how to piece & she said it worked. PM me if you'd like me to email a copy of it to you. :D
Good Luck - I KNOW you'll be great. :thumbup:

fabric-holic 03-23-2010 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by tinwoods
...If the group is filled with all levels of experience then suggest that a newbie sit near the experienced quilter.

That's a great idea. I never would have thought of that. Thanks

fabric-holic 03-23-2010 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Quilter7x
...What part about this is bothering you? Is it standing in front of a group of people or preparing something for them or maybe fear of the unknown? See if you can figure that out, cause there's something about this that's really eating at you.

I know I know. You're so right. I've always been this way when it comes to being in charge, or the lead, etc. Like I said earlier, I'm a wallflower. And I'm very good at it!! :-D
But I have to admit that after reading how many of you have taught things at church or in a group, I'm beginning to think I can do it too. I mean, what'll they do to me if I can't answer all the questions? It's a church group....they have to forgive me, right? lol