Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Have you ever THROWN AWAY brand new fabric? ON PURPOSE! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/have-you-ever-thrown-away-brand-new-fabric-purpose-t166772.html)

Keep Them In Stitches 11-07-2011 12:04 PM

Yep, I would cut it into strips and use it for stuffing dog pillows, toys, etc.

deranged_damsel 11-07-2011 12:10 PM

NOOOOOooooooooooo!!!!!! dont throw it away!!!!! please re-purpose or donate ;)

JUNEC 11-07-2011 12:35 PM

I usually donate those pieces to Good Will - or my husbands rag bag

Kathy T. 11-07-2011 02:07 PM

If it's not a "bleeder" you or someone you give it to can use it as the foundation for darker fabric string blocks.

PS I didn't read thru all four pages of responses, so I hope I'm not repeating another's idea ...

jaciqltznok 11-07-2011 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by texpat45 (Post 4646540)
Oh, yes! I have one of those pieces of fabric now...had it for 4 or 5 years...haven't thrown it out...yet....but everytime I see it I'm sorely tempted. It's 6 yds of Kona Black...and I detest the stuff. Brought it home, washed it, dried it and both selvage edges ravelled out the entire 6 yd length. Had to pile the stuff on the bed to fold...it's thick...2-3 times thicker than any 100% cottan fabric I've ever seen and, wrinkled like a dried apple, and has picked up every thread and piece of lint within 3 miles. I've washed 2 or 3 times more - it just keeps wrinkling and picking up lint. Lint rolled it, tried dampening and ironing. It's junk and one of these days I'm gonna toss it.

wow..I have used bolts of Kona black and NEVER had this happen...did you buy at a quilt shop or Hancocks?

wanda lou 11-07-2011 03:11 PM

I think I would return it.
I bought 3 yards of Alexander henry fabric on ebay, After washing it, it was ruined. the seller was nice enough to refund my money and told me to keep the fabric. because it bleed so bad there was nothing i could use it for except dog bedding.

pjnesler 11-07-2011 03:15 PM

I thinkŽIŽd use it as a layer for chenille - been thinking of trying that for a while now....

miriam 11-08-2011 03:49 AM

it would make a tote bag...

SuzyQ 11-08-2011 04:15 AM

I wouldn't throw it away. Heck, I don't throw anything away <grin> I would give it to a group that makes beds for the animal shelter. They could use it for stuffing in the beds.

GailG 11-08-2011 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl (Post 4646221)
i would never throw a piece of fabric in the garbage!
if i'm not going to use it i give it away- i don't throw it away-
chances are- if you dampen it= ironing wont be so bad= or using some sizing/starch on it-
as for using it- if you cut it up- piece it- then quilt it- it should be just fine-
i've had many 100% cottons come out very wrinkled (the sizing is washed out- and it's over dried) just re-wash it- don't dry it so long- iron it dry - it will be usable.
as for it being a lint-magnet---some weaves seem to collect lint more than others- another thing some added sizing would cure. if you really don't want to use it-deal with it---pass it on to a thrift store- or group who is making charity quilts.

I'd probably make dust rags or dish cloths with the piece.....or give them to DH to put in his rag stack in his shop.