Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Have you ever tried this? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/have-you-ever-tried-t111903.html)

babyboomerquilter 03-31-2011 07:12 AM

Thank you for the tip, sounds like a great idea

babyboomerquilter 03-31-2011 07:12 AM

Thank you for the tip, sounds like a great idea

darlin121 03-31-2011 07:15 AM

Good tip. I'll be sure to check that I use the poly/cotton felt.

kapatt 03-31-2011 07:15 AM

Thank you for the idea. :)

thrums 03-31-2011 07:25 AM

The felting I've seen at Walmart is a man-made product....acrylic or polyester .

reeskylr 03-31-2011 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by twinkie
I was looking for something to use to create a little stability to some of the table toppers, table runners, mug rugs and coasters I was making. I didn't like how the "stabilizers" and fusibles I tried made my projects too stiff. I also didn't like how batting gave them too much movement when something was placed on the coasters and mug rugs. I was in Wal-Mart one day looking for something to use when I spotted white felt on the bolt. I purchased a yard and have fallen in love. On my pot holders I use a square of felt and a square of Insulbrite. It gives them a nice thickness for a pot holder and yet it is not stiff. You all may already be using this and I am just sloooooowwww to catch on, but thought I would pass this on. It is also pretty reasonable. I think it is 54" wide and only about $2.74 a yard.
It seems to work well to FMQ on table toppers also.

I found 4 yards of blue felt that I intend to use instead of some of the pellon that is so expensive. I'm glad the idea works!

Kappy 03-31-2011 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by cjtinkle
Hmmm... I may have to try that. I typically use Pellon fusible fleece for table runners, I really like the way it "performs" for that function.

Wow, I didn't even know they made fusible fleece, do they have it a Joann's?

Iamquilter 03-31-2011 09:38 AM

When I make a wall hanging or table runner I use Pellon as it is not as thick as batting and it works very well.

kwilter 03-31-2011 09:59 AM

Most of the "felt" on the market is poly and won't shrink. Neither will wool felt since the meaning of felted wool is "wool shrunk by washing," Felting itself is the process by which wool, poly, cotton, etc. is already shrunk as far as it can be. The wool felt is probably the most expensive of the bunch but I don't know if there is such a thing as silk felt and don't think I WANT to know what that might cost! LOL

Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
Alot of the new felt isnt wool anymore, I think its poly? So maybe the new stuff doesnt shrink? Not sure........

debbieumphress 03-31-2011 10:02 AM

Twinkie. another great idea. YOu are creative too. I love your pin cushion ideas using other media like mugs, candle holders, SO unique. Now if you can just be my swap partner again. LOL. HUGS. Thanks for sharing.