Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Have you ever "worn out" a 1/4" foot? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/have-you-ever-worn-out-1-4-foot-t264101.html)

Diannia 04-17-2015 07:37 AM

I use an Elna Quilter's Dream too and I've had my 1/4" foot break before. The piece that hangs down and tells you how far over to go broke off. My 1/4" foot is wiggly too...

quiltingshorttimer 04-17-2015 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Diannia (Post 7167674)
I use an Elna Quilter's Dream too and I've had my 1/4" foot break before. The piece that hangs down and tells you how far over to go broke off. My 1/4" foot is wiggly too...

Thank you all--I went and checked and the new foot does seem to hold better and not wiggle. I knew walking feet could wear out but the 1/4" didn't seem to have as much to go wrong! When I picked up my machine, I also bought the Janome "accuquilt 1/4" foot"--it fits onto the built in walking foot and has the 1/4" flange. Figure if I'm working on blocks with tons of intersecting seam it will help. (Janome makes Elna's so interchangeable)

Aurora 04-18-2015 02:18 AM

When my painter's tape wears out, I just put a new piece down.

junegerbracht 04-18-2015 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by Honchey (Post 7167630)
On some feet there's a metal post that might pop out..it's the part that holds the bottom of the foot in place..I just pop it back in, tap it a few times and then seal it with clear nail polish...works for me...this happened on a serger foot and a 1/4 " foot w/guide...

I have an old Kenmore that I use occasionally and that happens. I have been popping the metal post back in but never thought of the nail polish idea - thanks for the hint!

borntoquilt 04-18-2015 07:58 AM

NO ! but I did wear out 3 foot controls on my 1978 Bernina Nova....(which I still have and use almost weekly!) Bernina replaced each one of them free of charge as they were included in the lifetime "electronic" warranty... I was sewing commercially on that little work horse in the early 80's. I love both my Bernina's (have the OLD non computerized 830! another wonder horse !! ) Happy Quilting !

squires1042 04-18-2015 08:25 AM

I have worn out several some broke especially the plastic ones and the metal ones the pins came out, then a couple of weeks ago broke the collar that the clamps onto. Have also managed to break the guides off on a couple.

quiltybarb 04-18-2015 08:31 AM

I haven't worn one out, but I've broken one or two running over things....

grammy Dwynn 04-18-2015 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma (Post 7167612)
My 1/4" foot didn't wear out, but it DID cause problems. On mine (for my Janome) there is a small flange that prevents the fabric from moving to the right too far. That had been tweaked out.....was making my seams more than 1/4". I used pliers and tweaked it back.

I also did the same for my Janome. GMTA ;)

MargeD 04-18-2015 10:47 AM

Like ManiacQuilter2, I have worn out a walking foot. Then yesterday while switching from my 1/4" foot to my regular sewing foot, part of the foot broke off. I haven't had that happen before, however, I have a lot of sewing hours on my Janome 4000. As long as the motor doesn't burn up like my old Sears Kenmore machine, I think I'll be fine. That was very scary having smoke coming out of your sewing machine's motor. Gives new meaning to "burning the midnight oil", or something like that. I did get a new sewing machine though.

Maggie Mendes 08-09-2015 03:57 AM

Hi Are you happy with your elna? I am thinking buying this machine .