Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Have you heard that JoAnn's fabric is poorer quality? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/have-you-heard-joanns-fabric-poorer-quality-t171396.html)

auntpiggylpn 12-08-2011 08:49 PM

Does it really matter where you buy your fabric? If you like LQS fabric, then buy it. If you like the quality of fabrics offered at Walmart, Joann's, Hancock's etc. buy it there. I don't think there is any reason to pass judgement on anyone just because they don't have a LQS near or can't afford LQS fabric. Likewise, there is no reason to judge anyone who only purchases LQS fabric. Every quilter makes the choice of where they buy their fabrics, whatever the reason. There are pros and cons to both locations. This topic has been run into the ground. It is time to give it a rest.

GRANNYMO 12-08-2011 08:50 PM

I have made many quilts with fabric from walmart, joanns and even fabric that I have purchased at goodwill. Many of my baby quilts have been washed over 50 times, my grandkids drag them everywhere, none of them have ever fallen apart. That said I really beleive in supporting lqs if at all possible. Each of us have to make our own decision on where to purchase fabric and the amount we are willing to spend.

MaryMo 12-08-2011 09:06 PM

I have some "cutter" quilts and other old quilts that were made from various fabrics .... hard to tell where fabric came from except the flour sack quilts. Many have been used and well-loved, others have been folded and left to sit on a shelf but all are frayed in at least one place. Each is precious to me because somebody took the time to make it. Each will live on as something else - a teddy bear, a mug rug, a table runner, or something so it can be loved one more time. Where the fabric was purchased doesn't seem to count now.

bvillequilter 12-09-2011 03:58 AM

You do have to be careful with JoAnn fabrics. Their quilters line, which is priced as high or higher than quilt shops, is good quality. The rest stay away from. However, sometimes I was lucky to find Kaufman fabrics in the clearance section. So it is a treasure hunt. Walmart is crap for quilting fabrics. But I have also been lucky finding goodies in the special priced fabrics. I found linen fabric for a $1 a yard. The best place to buy fabric is Hobby Lobby. The 100% cotton fabrics are first quality fabrics. They offer two types - traditional calicos and also contemporary designed fabrics. The prices are fantastic and the quality is just as good, and sometimes better (depending on the quilt shop) as found in local quilt shops. The downside is they only offer new and different fabrics a little at a time so I stop in once a month and have a little spree.

Geri B 12-09-2011 04:33 AM

so many thoughts flew thru my head when I read the initial post.........LQS always being better than box store fabric is not true. I have purchased fabric from a LQS that was "not the best" and the price was high........As so many have said - you have to shop around, feel the fabric, look at the weave and make decisions. I have purchased fab from Walmart, Hobby Lobby, JoAnn and Hancock, as well as local LQS, which by the way, just closed its doors this last week-"economy".
I myself do not make quilts to last 100 yrs. I make them as my therapy and enjoyment, give them to whomever in family wants/needs one and on with another project. I personally think not too many of our "today" bed quilts will last as long as the antique ones we see and love, mainly because we wash things more often nowadays and our soaps, softeners, and water are so chemical infused it destroys the fiber much faster than years ago.. now that is just my personal observation...nothing that I can prove.
So having said this, I think I will go shopping today and see what I can find............have any of you bought wool clothes at local Goodwill type stores and made penny rugs from it. I saw one at a recent craft show that I would like to try.....something different to try.

RIDGEFIELD 12-09-2011 04:37 AM

I also go to the $1.99 Fabric Store and have found lots of beautiful high quality fabric. You need to feel the texture and see how smooth it is. We always buy more that we intend but you can't beat the price and the helpful staff there. Everyone has a different budget so spend accordingly. Joanne

thenonnielady 12-09-2011 04:50 AM

Yes, there is a difference.

Steady Stiching 12-09-2011 05:01 AM

Joann's has different levels of quality in their fabrics and the prices reflect that. I do buy fabric there and only got skunked a couple of times. One on a red that bleeds and bleeds (This is why I always prewash) and another the fabric felt great before I washed it but it had so much sizing in it that after washing it was too thin to use.
As always.....consider the project and its uses.

Theresa 12-09-2011 05:01 AM

Sad news, Jo-Ann's will not be carrying the Debbie Mumm brand.

GailG 12-09-2011 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by Gayle8675309 (Post 4763358)
I was taught by a few quilting friends to never buy fabric from JoAnn's or WalMart for quilting. They say that JoAnn's and WalMart buy "second and third runs" from the manufacturers, therefore the cotton is of poorer quality...lower thread count and less printing quality.

So I've never purchased fabric from anywhere but quilt shops. But I see that a lot of you purchase fabric at the discount stores.

Have you ever noticed a difference between quilt store fabric and discount store fabric? Thanks.

I don't know about all of this, but I can say that when I first started "quilting" (whole cloth on both sides, batting -- put together by the birthing method, and tied with 4-ply acrylic yarn) I used fabrics mostly from WalMart or the sale rack at Hancock. Some of those quilts are as old as 20 years old. And ALL of them are still going strong --some are faded, but still holding on. I see them when I visit our kids, grandkids, and great grands. Maybe things have changed. One thing I do is pick up the fabric and check out the "quality" -- can I see through it, etc. If it's flimsy or wrinkles too much when I grab a handful and squeeze it, I don't buy it.