Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Have you made a Bali Wedding Star quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/have-you-made-bali-wedding-star-quilt-t220037.html)

WTxRed 04-26-2013 09:00 AM

Have you made a Bali Wedding Star quilt?

Have you made a Bali Wedding Star quilt?
I have my pattern(s), I'm going to be acquiring the fabrics for this and here's my real question. Did you buy a 'kit' with all the fabrics, select your own, or do something different?
It's a little daunting with the #'s of all of the fabrics.
And I'm not positive my LQS has a big enough batik selection for me to pick all of this out.
If you bought your's online - can you please share where you got it? I know this is going to be a pricey investment...would rather do it right the first time. Thanks so much!

katier825 04-26-2013 09:04 AM

I have not, although I love that pattern. If you don't mind buying full yards, you can get a great selection at Seawatch Fabrics online. Thousands of bolts has a lot too for decent price. At either of these places, it's about 40% off the price it is in my LQS.

Plumtree 04-26-2013 06:39 PM

I selected my own but I wanted an only shades of purple in mine except for the black. It is extremely daunting and expensive--I am making king size. It took me 5 quilt stores and a few very long drives to aquire as many as I did. Fabric Fanatics looks like good place for batiks so is Batiks Plus but I have not purchased anything from them. Are you taking a class or tackling it on your own? How big will you be making your? Good Luck and I can't wait to see your progress :-)

QuiltingCrazie 04-26-2013 10:55 PM

I think I would buy a fat quarter pack. You'll get at least 30 prints. Keepsake quilting sells the bed runner kit with a pattern maybe they have a separate kit with just the fabrics. I'm doing a DWR out of cottons, I love that pattern but it's out of my price range.

WTxRed 04-27-2013 04:19 AM

[QUOTE=Plumtree;6028375]I selected my own but I wanted an only shades of purple in mine except for the black. It is extremely daunting and expensive--I am making king size. It took me 5 quilt stores and a few very long drives to aquire as many as I did. Fabric Fanatics looks like good place for batiks so is Batiks Plus but I have not purchased anything from them. Are you taking a class or tackling it on your own? How big will you be making your? Good Luck and I can't wait to see your progress :-)[/QUOTE

I think I'm going to be in the same dilema - I want, or rather don't want, some colors predominant. I'm making a 7x8 (92x104). No class, live too far away from anywhere lol. I just got my pattern but have another big quilt to finish up before I get "started" on it.

I have talked to Cookie at Batiks Plus about their 'fabric kits', I've also checked a couple of other online shops that carry fabric kits for various sizes.
I have thought about going ahead and getting 5 or 6 different bali pops and then taking out the colors I don't want to include. I think that's going to give me enough for the arcs. I feel pretty sure my LQS will have batiks I can use for the background... and hopefully the stars.

Would you please post a pic of your fabrics and any construction you have done? I'd love to see it!

And thanks so much for your input!

Jan

WTxRed 04-27-2013 04:20 AM

and Thanks Rachel & Katie!

Gail B 04-27-2013 05:04 AM

I have bought batiks from Connecting Threads & was very pleased with the colours and quality.

Elise1 04-27-2013 06:59 AM

I have not made this quilt, (too advanced for me). But I have seen a kit for it at Quilting by the Bay. I have no idea what colorway you are looking for. The kit says only 3 bali pops are needed, but you may want more.

http://store.quiltingbythebay.com/stores_app/Browse_Item_Details.asp?Shopper_id=784041921203078 40&Store_id=774&page_id=23&Item_ID=2751

seamstome 04-27-2013 08:53 AM

I am binding mine this weekend. A King, God help me!! I did the original pattern not the updated one. It should be much easier for you. I used Bali pops and a kit but then I added much more fabric. You will need to do some math but I would buy it separate.

Assuming you are making the size that requires 3 Bali Pops, I would not buy the Bali pops. I think you would do better with third to half yards and strip cut. Bali pops are about 15 bucks a yard really when you figure it plus there were some colors I just didn't like. so three Bali pops is 2.5 inches times 2 times 3 which is 15 inches per color. I think you can get away with 2 inch strips to make the arcs, so I am pretty sure 1/3 yard of each color would do it. I think I used 30-35 prints for the arcs.

At the quilt show in Cincinnati, there was a company selling first quality Batiks for 9ish a yard. I can get them here at about 10 a yard on a shop hop or a sale. I would make the trip into a BIG shop or use somebody like Hancock's or Beverly's or Thousand Bolts. There is no reason to pay more for the 1895's than 9-10.

I needed an entire bolt for the backing.

Good luck! I also did it on my own. You MUST be very organized. My King with flying geese border was about 3000 pieces. Make sure you have the newer pattern.

Plumtree 04-30-2013 04:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Seamstome I would love, love, love to see pictures your baby all done and pretty. Gives me hope that this beast will get done.

I have some pictures of my progress but not of all the of it. I will try to get more of each set today. Here is what I have, if you have questions I am happy to offer what I learned in class.

Okay pictures, here are a few, I haven't taken many I will take some today its on list of things to work on :-)