Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Have you prewashed the Hobbs cotton? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/have-you-prewashed-hobbs-cotton-t193202.html)

Prism99 06-30-2012 09:46 AM

If it has a scrim, you should be able to soak it and then dry in the dryer. It is the batts without scrim or bonding agents that fall apart in water.

Jan in VA 06-30-2012 10:42 AM

1. Load the Hobbs cotton batting into a TOP LOADING washer, evenly distribute the mass.
2. Fill washer with lukewarm water.
3. Agitate the machine BY HAND a couple of times or push the batting up and down to thoroughly wet it, DO NOT let the machine cycle.
4. Let it sit for a few minutes (5-15).
5. Set machine to spin cycle/gentle to remove water.
6. Fluff in an AIR COOLED dryer (no heat) for about 5-10 minutes.
7. Remove from dryer immediately and drape it over the floor, sofa, table, whatever, overnight to finish drying and to remove wrinkles.

I've done many, many of the Hobbs 80/20 battings this way over the years with no problem.

Jan in VA

irishrose 06-30-2012 10:52 AM

I haven't used that batting, but I have used 80/20s, including one from Hobbs. I put it my top loading washer in warm water, fill it with water, soak it a while and spin the water out. I then dry it in my large dryer on the regular cycle. I am the lone person who likes a smoother quilt, so I want all shrinkage done. One mistake, I must have forgotten what I'd put in the washer and washed one, which means it was agitated twice. There are several unusable areas. I foresee a couple of baby quilts out of that queen size batt.

BellaBoo 06-30-2012 11:59 AM

I have never pre washed batting. I guess 5% shrinkage is not enough for me to notice a difference. I haven't so far.

auntpiggylpn 06-30-2012 01:42 PM

I guess I assumed that if the quilt is quilted, than the batting doesn't have much room to shrink???? I know that there is some shrinkage but I've always liked the crinkly look of a quilt. I have seen on quilts that were very densly quilted that they don't become crinkly after washing but then again, I don't think they are snuggly quilts either! JMHO!:p

Silver Needle 06-30-2012 06:01 PM

Now I know why I stick with Quilters Dream batting. Quilts washed in cool water = the batting shrinkage is minimal to 1%. In warm water the cotton was only 3%. I've never prewashed batting.

Bobbielinks 06-30-2012 06:12 PM

Hobbs batting will be just find to "prewash". I do it often for my customers. I put it into my top loading washer with enough hot water to cover it and let it soak (do not agitate) about 10 minutes. Spin the water out then put it into my dryer on high heat and dry about 20 minutes. It comes out very nice and soft. This will shrank the batting so the finished quilt will not shrank as much it is washed.

CoyoteQuilts 06-30-2012 09:09 PM

If I want to 'shrink' my batting I spray with water and throw in the dryer. Never wash because it will fall apart....

TeresaS 06-30-2012 09:11 PM

read the comments....majority states dont.

lfletcher 07-01-2012 05:30 AM

Not successfully. I did agitate accidentally which I shouldn't have done. Batting came out in pieces and clumps. Completely unusable.