Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Have you tried the fusible batting? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/have-you-tried-fusible-batting-t206737.html)

csharp 11-25-2012 02:00 PM

I just finished a queen size quilt with the fusible on both sides. Used the queen bed to lay it all out and ironed (pressed) it down starting with just the batting and the back on top...then flipped and added the quilt top and pressed again starting in the middle and smoothing out. Pinned all the edges when finished and never had any problem with it. Big project and I don't know if I'll do a queen again, but saved a lot of frustration to get it sandwiched this way. Hobby Lobby always has the fusible.

lizzy 11-25-2012 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Tashana (Post 5674713)
I tried the fusible batting, and it was pretty good. But I still like basting with Elmer's School glue. I always have the glue and the batting so no need for me to go out and buy something else. But, if you do not like the Elmer's method, I believe the fusible batting is the next best thing.

I would like to try the school glue for basting a full size quilt. Do you have any tips for me. How do you apply, dots, lines ? Do you allow it to dry thoroughly before quilting? Thanks for your help.

sewingsuz 11-25-2012 06:53 PM

I have use it for purses and place mats and it is fine. I have not used it on a quilt. I use basting spray most of the time.

Butterflyblue 11-25-2012 07:20 PM

I used a fusible (Hobbs, I think) for a baby quilt, and I wasn't happy with it. I had to stop and re-iron it down in places while I was quilting. I used it on a couple of smaller projects (table topper, Christmas stocking), though, and it was great for them.

My time 11-25-2012 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by nygal (Post 5675819)
I must have been living in a cave some place...I've never heard of fusible batting!!:eek:

How funny I was about to say the same thing. I've never heard of it. I imagine it costs a pretty penny.

Mimiqwerty 11-25-2012 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer (Post 5678526)
I've used both the fusible (for crib quilts and smaller projects) and like it ok--still pin baste but just not as closely. I have a used the spray baste and like the convenience but really don't like asphixiation issue! So that limits when/where I can use it. I have a question about the Elmer's school glue--is it only the washable WHITE or can you use the washable GEL? And has anyone tried mixing it with water in a spray bottle (obviously would have to take the sprayer out each time and wash out so it didn't clog)? I'd like the spray convenience but with something much less toxic. Feedback appreicated!

I've used the white Elmer's school glue as well as the clear gel and the blue gel. All work equally well. I've even tried an off-brand from Walmart (a white school glue that cost 34 cents for four ounces) and had very good results. My quilt tops and backs were smooth and wrinkle free. And no worries about breathing toxic fumes. I haven't tried it diluted in a spray bottle. Anyone have any experience with that?

thepolyparrot 11-26-2012 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by My time (Post 5680122)
How funny I was about to say the same thing. I've never heard of it. I imagine it costs a pretty penny.

It's not fun if you're crawling around on the floor fusing a queen size. My knees are too old for that. :D But, if you have a basting table or if you're working on smaller pieces - wallhanging, miniatures, purses, crib or lap quilts - it's really great stuff!

It's not terribly expensive - I wait until Connecting Threads puts it on sale - I think it's 30 or 40% off - then I stock up and shipping is free. :)

cathyvv 11-27-2012 08:01 PM

I've used the fusible batting from walmart - a thin bat - on tops that are a bit wonky. I 'iron them into submission' - also known as straightening them out a bit. Seems to work fine for that. Have only done that on baby size quilts. I suspect it wouldn't work too well on larger quilts.

SewMamaw 11-30-2012 07:27 AM

Used Elmer's glue for the first time the other day and it was fantastic! I'll be using it again. I'm glad I decided to give it a try!

granny216 11-30-2012 01:27 PM

How do you baste the 3 layers together with Elmer's? If it has been posted I missed it as I can't be on every day.

Originally Posted by Tashana (Post 5674713)
I tried the fusible batting, and it was pretty good. But I still like basting with Elmer's School glue. I always have the glue and the batting so no need for me to go out and buy something else. But, if you do not like the Elmer's method, I believe the fusible batting is the next best thing.