Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Have you tried these?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/have-you-tried-these-t62658.html)

stitchinwitch 09-02-2010 04:40 AM

There are 2 items I just learned about and would like to know if any of you have tried these out, and what you think of them......

Ironable Vinyl (sp) - and how did you use it - 'saw a placemat the other day on PBS and thought it was a great idea

"Doodle-Pens" for drawing and writing on quilts - not suppose to bleed, easy to use.

If there are items that you have seen and was curious if they were all "hype" or if they are a wonderful invention, please post.

Thanks

ktbb 09-02-2010 05:04 AM

I've used the iron on vinyl and really liked it. In my case I used it to cover some fabric for wall signs so they could be cleaned off easily and it worked like a charm. It is a little lighter weight than most of the regular vinyl I see at Walmart and Joanns, so I think it would work very well for aprons, etc. as well where you want to keep some drape and flexibility to the fabric - doesn't take long to set the vinyl on the fabric. Need to make sure there are no creases in fabric or vinyl or they will be ironed in.

I also sewed thru mine after applying it and it took sewing very well as long as I had some tissue between the pressure foot and the vinyl (I don't have a vinyl foot to use). Just trace the sewing lines/pattern on the paper and tape it onto the vinyl then stitch over the top. I also had vinyl on both sides, so made sure I had tissue on the bottom between the vinyl and the machine bed.

ptquilts 09-02-2010 05:15 AM

I have used the pens for years, for making labels. The name escapes me at the moment (senility)

dls 09-02-2010 06:19 AM

Where do you find the ironable vinyl?
Is it expensive?
Does it stand up as well as laminated cotton?

debbieumphress 09-02-2010 06:28 AM

Thanks for sharing with this post. I haven't tried either but will look into it. Hope others post wonderful ideas on here too. My only wonderful discovery of late is the Best Press spray. I swear by it now. Even the most wrinkled cloth presses out right away and leaves a nice crisp look to the piece of fabric. I buy it by the gallon now. lol.

clem55 09-02-2010 09:08 AM

This is a good thread. So many times we see things that sound great and don't work worth a darn. If I ever get out to shop and I try something new, I'll let everyone know.LOL Right now I am trying to figure out what rulers and shapes I need to have on hand .I"d like to try the yo-yo makers too. I think that would be fun to have my GD and I doing together. I think all the different shaped ones look cute, but wonder how well they work.

husband-of-a-quilter 09-02-2010 09:11 AM

Edited - error

This is HOAQ's wife and I posted under his board name because he used this computer last and was signed on. Didn't look to see who was signed in before I posted :oops: :oops: :oops:

ptquilts 09-02-2010 09:42 AM

Pigma Micron was the name of the pens I was trying to think of. Yes, had to go and look at one to remember.
they are nice for labels, come in different colors so you can design a fancy label.

greencat 09-02-2010 11:47 AM

I saw a demo at a quilt show with iron on vinyl. It was used on the lining of a tote. Looked like a good idea - the inside could be wiped out.
Since it was from a quilt shop, I figured I'd have to investigate further and compare prices.

stitchinwitch 09-02-2010 02:55 PM

Did anyone see Pokey's program on Saturday? I THINK they showed the doodle pen - looks more like a sharpie - doesn't bleed. I THOUGHT it was something new. But I COULD be mistaken - won't be the first time, and won't be the last! On the iron on vinyl, they cut a rectangular out of the vinyl, laid different clippings of fabric, then put on the top layer of vinyl. Pressed it, and it made the cutest placemat!. Would be cut for kids, ya know!