Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Have you tried wavy line quilting? Whats your thoughts pros and cons. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/have-you-tried-wavy-line-quilting-whats-your-thoughts-pros-cons-t297155.html)

Rhonda Lee 05-25-2018 06:31 AM

Have you tried wavy line quilting? Whats your thoughts pros and cons.

I'm going to be quilting 5 quilts soon. They are reversible with quilt tops on both sides. I'm thinking wavy line quilting might be the best way to quilt them. I have not used this method before. Have you? What was your technique? Did you quilt by top to bottom reversing direction? Waiting to hear your responses. Thanks in advance. Best place to find help is this quilting board!!!! I quilt on my domestic machine.

Garden Gnome 05-25-2018 07:16 AM

I used to do nearly all my quilts this way till I started FMQ. I used the "meander" stitch and a walking foot. You can adjust the width and length of the meander somewhat.
And, yes, starting in the middle of the quilt, sew top to bottom, then bottom to top.
I didn't mark the rows, just eyeballing the distance between, approximately 2". Sometimes it varied a bit, no problem.

Garden Gnome 05-25-2018 07:19 AM

Oh, and the big drawback for me was if/when I had to stop to change bobbin or something in the middle of the row, it was impossible to start sewing again and have the meander continue evenly. So there were jiggles and wiggles in some places. No one saw them but me, of course.

Jeanne S 05-25-2018 07:48 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Wavy line quilting is my favorite method! I use the walking foot, and start my first wavy line in the middle of the quilt, going top to bottom. Then I work on either side of that line, sometimes rotating and going bottom to top, but always edge to edge so I don't have to bury threads. You can make the way lines random, or make some patterns in them with repeating consistency. This method is very forgiving, and I find it easier than just straight line quilting (which I also love) because variances in the width between rows or if one slants a little shows up more in straight lines than it does in wavy lines. Here are a few photos of mine.[ATTACH=CONFIG]594890[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]594891[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]594892[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]594893[/ATTACH]

MadQuilter 05-25-2018 07:51 AM

I've done it using the walking foot and I used the walking foot to gauge the distance.
MY BFF did a baby quilt where she did a random wavy pattern instead of Stitch-in-the-ditch. Turned out great.

Next time I plan to use a wavy ruler with the ruler foot.

Rhonda Lee 05-25-2018 01:27 PM

Oh thank you! It's good to hear all of your answers. Thanks for the pictures Jeanne. Love your quilts. This gives me hope!

Rhonda Lee 05-25-2018 01:39 PM

Well trying to just draw wavy lines I find myself echoing the whole pattern, which is not particularly what I had in mind. I might have to have some help with a wavy ruler as in what Martina said. :)

tranum 05-25-2018 02:30 PM

My one & only wavy project was a set of 4 American flag placements. I was pleased with the results.

Nesie 05-25-2018 03:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]594915[/ATTACH]
I used a random wavy quilting line on this baby quilt because it had a little bit of a nautical feel and the Mom’s theme was whales. Did not mark. I was happy with it and so was she. Not heavily quilted but it did the job.

wesing 05-25-2018 04:52 PM

One of the guys in my QOV group uses the wavy lines almost exclusively and his quilts always look awesome. Unfortunately I don't have pics of any of his quilts.