Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Have Your Fusible Applique Quilts Held Up to Wear & Washing? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/have-your-fusible-applique-quilts-held-up-wear-washing-t266615.html)

ckcowl 06-19-2015 10:35 PM

I have made two of Edyta's bed quilts. I never satin stitch my appliques, don't like the look or the heavy stiff stitches. I generally use a small blanket stitch, once in awhile a small zigzag. The quilts hold up fine. Of course they are Not utility quilts that are dragged around and laundered frequently. Generally my appliqued quilts are only laundered once or twice a year.

Alice PD 06-20-2015 12:10 AM

Kindleaddict63, I loved your post! Thank you. That was a really nice thing to share and with such humor.

kathy 06-20-2015 02:57 AM

you do not have to do satin stitch, I use just a small zigzag, pretty close but not satin, you will have a little fuzz around the applique but it will not come off and looks perfectly fine.

Dollyo 06-20-2015 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by applique (Post 7232272)
I use the satin stitch for the bed quilts which I make and sell. They are just fine with washing and drying. Using matching colored thread works for me. I usually enlarge the patterns to make it easier to stitch.

WOW!!!! That is one exquisite quilt.

coffeecozy 06-20-2015 03:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]522879[/ATTACH] a picture is worth a thousand words

coffeecozy 06-20-2015 03:33 AM

Ok so I was tried to add my explanation to my picture but my computer and I are not working well together today.
The picture is a placemat that I made to practice some stitching and quilting. The zig-zag stitching has held up the best. The button hole stitching is fraying quite a bit. The stem stitching really surprised me, it is just an angled zig-zag and yet it has frayed so badly the stem is coming loose.
If I want something to hit the laundry often I will use a zig-zag, even a small fairly open one seems to work well.

ontheriver 06-20-2015 04:50 AM

One of my first quilts made about 10 years ago had appliqué stars, I just zig zagged around them. This is an everyday throw, has been washed about 30 times, the stars are still going strong, none coming loose or fraying.

Weezy Rider 06-20-2015 04:54 AM

I made a small applique and installed it on the front of a sweatshirt. I did satin stitch, and the shirt lasted for over 15 years before the fabric pulled out of the stitching. It got washed more frequently than a quilt.

KalamaQuilts 06-20-2015 08:59 AM

There are a lot of different brands strengths of fusible, and a lot of different instructions for using them, and then for quilting the results might depend also on prewashed fabric vs. fabric that still has all the factory finishes on it, whether they are attached to knit shirts or cotton shirts... so it is probably a kind of apples and oranges question :)

There is a new thread today about laser cutting machines, so there may be helpful responses there.

mike'sgirl 06-20-2015 12:37 PM

Applique, your quilt is beautiful.