Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Havel's Fabric Cutter (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/havels-fabric-cutter-t242041.html)

cmmcbride 02-25-2014 11:49 PM

Havel's Fabric Cutter

I am looking for a system where I can cut strips fairly quickly with accuracy. I ran across the Havel' s Fabric Cutter. Has anyone used this tool? If so, how many layers of fabric can I cut through with accuracy? This just seems a less expensive solution to the accuquilt go. I am only interested in cutting strips in bulk for strippy quilts.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Christina

Knitette 02-26-2014 12:08 AM

I haven't seen this before, so not entirely sure how it works - like a sliding guillotine paper cutter? If so, I'm assuming there's some method to stop your fabric sliding.
If you just want to cut strips, then what about the June Tailor Shape cut? There's a big one that will cut WOF. I love mine!

cmmcbride 02-26-2014 12:11 AM

Thank you. I will look at the June Tailor.

PaperPrincess 02-26-2014 05:16 AM

This looks like the Fiskars ruler/cutter combo. I had the original one and didn't like it, although I might be in the minority! They discontinued it and brought it back by popular demand.

patricej 02-26-2014 05:44 AM

this is one of two long cutters that came on the market recently.
the other is by Sew Easy, but it will only go to 4-1/2".

I got the Sew Easy (but secretly wish I'd gotten Havell's wider one.) it's supposed to cut through 8 layers, but i had to back that up to 6.

the blades that came in my Havell's hand-held cutters were outstanding, so i expect their long cutter will perform as advertised.

the old Fiskars model will only cut through one layer at a time.

i've never seen the June Tailor Shape CutPro Ruler in person, so could only guess about how useful it might be.
They all cost about the same (if you shop around), so the only drawback i could think of in comparison is the the JT would require more minimum workspace to use.

cmmcbride 02-26-2014 08:44 AM

Thank you all for your input. I read up on the June Tailor and it received great reviews and is a little less expensive so I may give it a try. Not clear on how many layers of material I can cut through but it said several. Thanks again.

AliKat 02-26-2014 08:46 AM

I have the old Fiskars and this is just like it. One of the LQS's here uses one for strip cuts, as they don't do many of them.

Geri B 02-26-2014 09:11 AM

I looked up the havell cutter.......note you have to fold the width of fab in half as the width is 27.5......just as you have to do with Taylor cutter and fiskar. I have the fiskar and for just a few cuts I will use it, but only one piece of fabric at a time but if I am going to do many strips I will use the GO......personal choice here.

cmmcbride 02-26-2014 09:16 AM

Thank you Geri. Still doing research. Appreciate your input.

gale 02-26-2014 10:03 AM

Keep in mind the June Taylor Shape Cut is basically a different type of ruler. You still use a rotary cutter with it. I love mine.