Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Hawaiian applique & cutting out pattern (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hawaiian-applique-cutting-out-pattern-t217437.html)

QuiltingKrazy 03-26-2013 04:14 PM

Hawaiian applique & cutting out pattern

Hey y'all,

I love the look of and hand quiltling Hawaiian Applique but HATE cutting the pattern out from folded fabric. I am guessing I don't hate the right tool to make this easier. SO anyone out there have suggestions on scissors or whatever cutting tool that would make it easier to cut through folded fabric?

Or possible I should use a different fabric other than 100% cotton?

thanks

JulieR 03-26-2013 05:35 PM

This is on my bucket list so I'm interested to hear what others have done...

quilter1 03-26-2013 05:38 PM

I use my big sewing scissors. They have a long sharp blade. I took a class with Nancy from Pacific Rim and this was her suggestion.

QuiltingKrazy 03-27-2013 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by quilter1 (Post 5956719)
I use my big sewing scissors. They have a long sharp blade. I took a class with Nancy from Pacific Rim and this was her suggestion.

seems like big scissors would not be easy to use in small corners etc...

feline fanatic 03-27-2013 08:32 AM

Have you tried microserrated scissors? I bought a pair of Karen Buckley's at a quilt show and love them for single layer applique cutting. I have not tried them with folded fabric, though.

Petey 03-27-2013 01:26 PM

You really need to see Nancy Lee Chong's video on Hawaiian quilting (Pacific Rim) you can buy it from her for the most up to date one or you can get it from the public library. It is a fantastic video - she shows you every little detail - about 1 hour or longer video. The cutting out of the pattern is a fairly rough cut because it includes the seam allowance and you follow the curve when you do the needle turn applique so your seam allowance does not need to be perfect.

QuiltingKrazy 03-27-2013 04:36 PM

i will have to keep and eye out for a used copy of that video. Don't really want pay $35 right now. thanks

hsquiltingmom 03-28-2013 06:44 PM

The Hawaiian quilting is so much fun to do. I have only done the 22" square size blocks, and I cut out with my regular scissors. I think I used the biggest ones I had. When I had to get around small areas, it was small enough, that I could pick it up, and cut where I needed to. One of these days, I will order a pattern to do a bigger quilt, but for learning I am doing the 22" squares and turning them into a sampler quilt. I have been teaching myself.

QM 03-28-2013 06:46 PM

I use a freezer paper template. I can use it for all the pieces and only fold the paper once.

Donnamarie 04-01-2013 06:54 AM

I cut out a template from folded freezer paper not fabric. I then iron the freezer paper on the top of the fabric, trace on the design using the template, and remove the freezer paper. I then hand baste the applique fabric onto the background fabric. When I start to applique, I just cut away a little at a time as I am appliqueing. Works wonderfully and I don't have to deal with the freezer paper curling up the edges. Enjoy!