Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   He didn't know what he had! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/he-didnt-know-what-he-had-t188805.html)

tjradj 05-12-2012 02:15 PM

He didn't know what he had!

Today I was a vendor at a garage sale/fundraiser for our local women's shelter. As I saw a young man walk by with a sewing machine case, I commented innocently " is that a sewing machine?" He proudly showed it to me, opening the immaculate case to find a pristine Singer model 99. Looks like she hasn't been used except that the electric cord is a bit 'stiff'. The little lady was quite impressive. So I had to tell him what he had.
He paid $15. I think his wife, who's getting it for Mother's Day tomorrow will be thrilled when he tells her what it is and just what it is worth! (she may already know. Must be a sewer if hubs is buying a machine lol )

Mousie 05-12-2012 03:11 PM

good for you on helping the guy out!
Even if his wife does know about the machine, she'll be so impressed and pleased that her dh not only bought her a machine, but that he cared to get some info on it.
It's nice to have our hubbies take an interest in our hobbies,...even a little bit! ;)

jcrow 05-12-2012 03:45 PM

That was so nice of you to take an interest and explain to the man what a nice machine he was getting and what a bargain he was getting it for. I bet you made his day!

mighty 05-12-2012 04:46 PM

She is going to be one happy lady!!!!!

irishrose 05-12-2012 05:47 PM

What do you think a 99 in good condition is worth?

Candace 05-12-2012 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose (Post 5212701)
What do you think a 99 in good condition is worth?

Kind of my thoughts...they're not really worth all that much really...at least in my area they're everywhere. But for sure $30-$40 or a bit more with attachments and case.

jeanneb52 05-14-2012 03:56 AM

Cool I had one but it needed so much work it was basically a big paperweight. Hubby bought it to "fix up" but never did .

quiltmom04 05-14-2012 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by Candace (Post 5213114)
Kind of my thoughts...they're not really worth all that much really...at least in my area they're everywhere. But for sure $30-$40 or a bit more with attachments and case.

I think it's worth so much more that a loving husband went to a Garage sale and come home with a sewing machine!

Latrinka 05-14-2012 04:29 AM

Lucky Lady!

Barbara Antman 05-14-2012 04:53 AM

Congratulations! Your a wonderful Human Being!!!!
I get upset when I read of all the people who take advantage of an uninformed seller just to brag about it later. At least speak to the seller and let them know how much you would like the item, but that you would like to be fair. Sometimes the seller doesn't care, and just wants the item to have a good home, and thats even better!
Now this man can at least go home with a wonderful surprise and some information for his wife.