Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Heard of stretching machines? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/heard-stretching-machines-t204754.html)

liont 11-01-2012 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by peggymunday (Post 5627885)
I love my stretched Singer 201. It's a WOW machine that I bought used for $800. A steal of a deal with a 12 foot table. Love it!

How did you get such an amazing deal? I thought the stretching fee alone is $2000?

peggymunday 11-01-2012 12:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by liont (Post 5627990)
How did you get such an amazing deal? I thought the stretching fee alone is $2000?

I was lucky enough to find a previously loved machine in a city about an hour away from me on Craigslist. She had a new computerized Gammil and had no room left for this one. In fact when I first saw it, she had it broken down to a 6' width because the room it was in was too small. I was pleasantly surprised to find she had the additional rails to make it the 12' it is now. It's not top of the line, it has no stitch regulator (but that's okay, because it's good to be able to regulate on your own, which I have learned to do), and not a lot of bells and whistles, but it does beautiful stitches and is a real powerhorse. I think if I spent several thousand dollars (ha, as if I had that, lol) and had a computerized machine, I'd almost be afraid to mess with it for fear I'd break something. This one is very forgiving of my practicing. Here's a pic of freehand writing just a few days after setting up the machine....
[ATTACH=CONFIG]373842[/ATTACH]

wuv2quilt 11-01-2012 12:59 PM

STRETCH ME!!!!!! I'd love to have just one of my machines stretched!!!! WOW! How cool would that be? :thumbup:

liont 11-01-2012 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by peggymunday (Post 5628142)
I was lucky enough to find a previously loved machine in a city about an hour away from me on Craigslist. She had a new computerized Gammil and had no room left for this one. In fact when I first saw it, she had it broken down to a 6' width because the room it was in was too small. I was pleasantly surprised to find she had the additional rails to make it the 12' it is now. It's not top of the line, it has no stitch regulator (but that's okay, because it's good to be able to regulate on your own, which I have learned to do), and not a lot of bells and whistles, but it does beautiful stitches and is a real powerhorse. I think if I spent several thousand dollars (ha, as if I had that, lol) and had a computerized machine, I'd almost be afraid to mess with it for fear I'd break something. This one is very forgiving of my practicing. Here's a pic of freehand writing just a few days after setting up the machine....

A no frills work horse. I'd love love to have that!

Peckish 11-01-2012 04:02 PM

I'm afraid I have you beat. A friend gave me one after she upgraded. She said she couldn't wait to see what I did with it. Now I have to get a frame big enough for it, because it's not going to fit on my New Joy frame!

Suze9395 11-01-2012 04:29 PM

I have the Voyager 17 from Hinterberg, it is a stretched Singer. It's been great.

misskira 11-01-2012 05:39 PM

Hmmm... My dh is a mechanic and fantastic welder. Maybe I should find him a 201 to play with...

SmickChick 11-01-2012 05:49 PM

...runs about $2000 to have one stretched.

quilttiger 11-02-2012 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan (Post 5626265)
Bailey's are stretched Janomes and Rick at WOW started with stretching Singers and expanded to stretching Jukis and Brothers

Please see the forum established for present and future Bailey owners. Go to the topic, Bailey Talk. Then look for the subtopic, Table Bailey, and look for posts by the forum's adminstrator, desertdebbie, starting with reply #4. The machine is not stretched and is made especially that way for quilting. Hope this helps. I purchased my Bailey Pro 17E and now that the learning curve is out of the way, I am really, really happy with it.

quilttiger 11-02-2012 03:47 AM

I tried to cut and paste the forum address and it is not working for me. Try bhqbaileyhomequilter.proboards.co. Registration is required.