Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   from the heart of a newbie (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/heart-newbie-t188235.html)

vhord620 05-06-2012 12:17 PM

from the heart of a newbie

I hope newbies are reading this....I'm 70, a beginner quilter, altho I've dabbled in quilting over the years. It was never satisfying to me, too much work, and never a good result. I have always been a "getter done" crafter, never taking my time, but rushing to get on to the next project in my head.

This time around I've learned so much from this quilting board. I've made all the normal mistakes, and probably some not so "normal". But I'm determined! I want to be a good quilter! I can do it!

I'm taking more time to read directions, being more careful to cut accurately, still working on the "perfect seam". Startching as I go, Pressing after each step....things I always shortcutted before.

And my quilting is looking soooo much better, I'm getting much more pleasure out of my effort, and really enjoying each process so much more, (even the ironing that I used to hate), some day I might just be a quilter.

So, if you're a newbie, and if you're frustrated...take my advice...slow down! enjoy what you do! life is too short, but don't hurry thru it, live each day, enjoy each day!

Hugs to all the experts that have the patience to guide us newbies in learning this enjoyable craft.

Viv

Sewflower 05-06-2012 12:20 PM

Welcome from West Virginia. News flash: You Are A Quilter!!!!!!!

21quilter 05-06-2012 12:30 PM

Look at you! Glad to hear that you are enjoying quilting and didn't give up!

A good lesson for all of us! :)

jollyquilting 05-06-2012 12:32 PM

HI Welcome to the newest addiction. LOL I am also 70.

Neesie 05-06-2012 12:34 PM

Words of wisdom!!! Welcome, from TX!!!!

sahm4605 05-06-2012 01:05 PM

hehe, you are never to old to learn something till you are dead as I say. congrats and I hope you post pics of what you do. I know that I am usually in a hurry to get to the quilting of a project that I don't always enjoy the process as much as I should.

Quiltngolfer 05-06-2012 02:23 PM

I appreciate quilting more than I did when I was younger. I do more quilting now and enjoy the whole process, including ironing the fabric, vhord. Welcome! Like you, I have learned a lot from the wonderful folks on this quiltboard. I pick up the Ipadas soon as the coffee is made every morning. :)

MaryStoaks 05-06-2012 02:31 PM

Good advice Viv! :thumbup:

lfstamper 05-06-2012 02:35 PM

I totally agree! I have slowed down and really like the results much better. Accuracy does show. Glad you are here on the board.

Sandra in Minnesota 05-06-2012 02:38 PM

Welcome Newbie from Minnesota. I am 66 years old and still have to read ALL of the directions. If I don't, everything is jumbled in the end. Still have to slow down, because I am in no hurry anymore. Enjoy!