Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Heavy Metal Cone thread holder (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/heavy-metal-cone-thread-holder-t20349.html)

Shadow Dancer 05-26-2009 12:14 PM

Threadart.com sells the metal ones, and they are not that expensive. I got one and it's mounted on my sewing table beside my machine. :)

machinequilter 05-27-2009 07:44 AM

I have the metal cone thread holder that you showed the link for. It works great! I never have trouble with it moving or falling over. I highly recommend it.

nativetexan 05-27-2009 07:55 AM

I got my cone thread holder yesterday from LCM. not bad. i may add a bit of tape to the end of the tall thread guide to keep it in the hole upright. wants to tilt a bit and that will drive me nuts. but it's nice and heavy and that was what i wanted. i'm sure it's like the one in Clotilde but black base.

Dotty 05-27-2009 08:53 AM

JoAnns has the heavy one, at least when I went to JoAnns last time.

Linda - K. 05-27-2009 08:55 AM

I had a plastic one that was a pain in the you-know-what when you tried to use it. Then I found the metal one at a sewing machine store and bought it. It works beautifully! I still have the plastic one but it's just collecting dust. I may have try the block of wood trick to see if I can use it on another machine. Thanks for that tip--didn't think of doing something like that myself.

ramonasct 05-27-2009 09:30 AM

3 Attachment(s)
My DH made one for me from a wooden plate from a craft store (Hobby Lobby?) It sits on a plastic turntable, but is heavy enough it doesn't move. He got 3 plant stakes (heavy wire) with loops at the top to hold flowers/ plants upright so they won't fall over, drilled holes in the plate & glued them into the plate. Then he lined up & glued wooden thread spools, with dowels stuck into the center of them, around the outside of the plate. He used a grinder on the thread spools to get the shape he wanted. I use it for my embroidery machine and it works GREAT! Description is not very good, so here are some photos.

By the way, I love this group! Ramona

weezie 05-27-2009 10:15 AM

I ordered mine from a catalog. Now I see them in Joann's store all the time; I could have gotten one from there, with no shipping and handling fee, plus used a Joann's discount coupon. This is a direct "slap in the face" to my bargain hunting pride. I do use and like the spool holder, though.

mlouw2 05-27-2009 01:17 PM

Try checking at your local quilt shop. That is where I got mine.

azam 05-27-2009 10:04 PM

My DH bought mine at an antique shop a few years ago when we were on vacation in Northern CA. It's made of iron and holds two large cones of thread. I love it! It's sturdy and I just love antiques. I use my plastic one when I go to classes since it's light weight.

Carol W 05-29-2009 06:52 PM

Thank you for all the information on the cone holders.