Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Height ?!? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/height-t38110.html)

miz mary 02-27-2010 12:32 PM

I need to know how high my cutting table should be ?! Im 5'4"..

What about sewing machine height ? Chair ?!?

My back gave out yesterday while cutting ........

Quilt Mom 02-27-2010 12:38 PM

I like a cutting table that is higher than a regular table, and a sewing table that is lower than a regular table. Sorry I do not have exact measurements for you. I have 2 school tables that adjust in 2" increments. One is 4" higher, the other 4" lower, than when used for writing.

I have heard of some people using pvc pipe to make risers for their tables to accomodate the cutting level.

BellaBoo 02-27-2010 01:02 PM

The cutting table should be level with your hands went bent at the elbow to make 90º. I won't cut at a too low table, EVER. Even one minute of strain shows up later. I'm 5' 2 1/2" and have my cutting table 38" high.

vicki75 02-27-2010 01:17 PM

I do all of my cutting on our counter height breakfast table. It's taller than a regular table and works out very nice for cutting.

amma 02-27-2010 02:07 PM

Another factor to consider is that your toes/feet should be able to fit under the table so that you can stand close enough to it. Another idea is to rest a foot on a stool ( switching them periodically) if you are going to be standing for long periods of time, it will help take the strain off of your back.
Play with your ironing board, and find a height that feels comfortable to cut from, then measure that height and go from there :wink:

dakotamaid 02-27-2010 02:46 PM

I'm agreeing with everyone here. Another thing to consider is the type of rotary cutter you're using. I have carpal tunnel and find the ergonomic (sp) cutters work best. You don't have to push so hard and that is also good for shoulders, arms and back as everything is connected!! :-D :-D

weezie 02-27-2010 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by miz mary
I need to know how high my cutting table should be ?! Im 5'4"..

What about sewing machine height ? Chair ?!?

My back gave out yesterday while cutting ........

I'm 5'5" and I have my cutting table top 38-1/2" from the floor. At that height, I don't have to bend over very far and I can still reach across the table past its middle to give me access to everything from either one side or the other without needing to move anything but myself. It's also the perfect height for me to prop my forearm onto an acrylic ruler to hold it secure when I'm using it as a rotary cutter guide.

watterstide 02-27-2010 03:15 PM

I believe 36" is the standard height for a counter.. my cutting table is 38"..i am 5'7" Great Question!

Prism99 02-27-2010 04:01 PM

My very comfortable cutting table top is right below my belly button, if that's any help. I measure where my elbow comes, and the table top is about 2 inches below that. I think if the table were any higher, it would be difficult for me to cut 22" of fabric at a time.

I like to sew and quilt standing up, so am in the process of making a foam insulation "table" for my machine. This will go on top of my cutting table and should be perfect for me (surface will be just slightly above my elbow height). I have found that I can machine quilt much longer standing up than I can sitting down, and I do not develop the lower back pain and tightness between the shoulder blades that used to plague me when I sat down to sew for too long at a time.

blahel 02-27-2010 06:03 PM

nothing worse than a sore back..i know...hope yours gets better soon. I dont have a table at the right height but I alternate between cutting and sewing so I dont have to bend over for too long. Seems to work that way..or I come here and look at what other people are up to! :lol: