Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Hello everyone! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hello-everyone-t107477.html)

linhawk 03-15-2011 06:47 PM

Also check out "quilting" on U tube and on
Missouri Quilt Company.

Welcome aboard. ;-)

Grandma Peg 03-15-2011 06:56 PM

Welcome from WI

FroggyinTexas 03-15-2011 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by quickshelia
Hi everyone! My name is Sheila and I just joined!

I'm very interested in quilting, although I have no idea where to begin! I know nothing about quilting or where to start!

It would be great if someone could give me some ideas about how to start making a quilt, I would appreciate it!!

Thanks so much!
-Sheila

Welcome! You come from the state where quilting started in the colonies, so you've got a long tradition behind you. When your ancestors started quilting, they didn't know everything they would know several years later, so you aren't unique.

Look for beginners' patterns. You can find some at about.com under the quilting section. You can also find some on this forum.
Get fabric you like in colors or designs that tickle your fancy and have at it. Remember, there are no quilt police, so don't worry about following "rules."

You'll love it here. Let us know how you get along. froggyintexas, where by the end of the week, we are going to have temperatures in the 80's!

Dawnmarieodya 03-15-2011 07:38 PM

Hi Welcome from Casa Grande,Az

MicheleVG 03-15-2011 07:39 PM

Welcome from NY

wraez 03-15-2011 08:09 PM

I see you have 9 pages of replies and I haven't read them, so you might have already gotten this suggestion ...

go to YouTube and search 'how to make a quilt' ... you will get lots of tutorial videos to help you out.

The Missouri Quilt Co. has lots of quilt tutorials on YouTube, they are great!

Hope this will help you a bit, I know it can be a challenge when you want to quilt and there is no one who can help you in person.

Best wishes to you,

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA

grandmak13231 03-15-2011 08:26 PM

Are you close to Puyallup, WA? Did you go to the SewExpo at the fairgrounds?

Pieceful Quilter 03-15-2011 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by CoriAmD
Welcome from Michigan! You will love it here - so many friendly and helpful people. And never be afraid to ask questions. We were all beginners at one time.

I highly recommend you go to JoAnn Fabrics (if you have one near you) and buy the book "Quilt with Confidence" by Nancy Zieman. I paid $24.99 for mine. (well worth the price!)
Or you can get it from her web site - www.sewingwithnancy.com

I agree!!

gtheresa 03-15-2011 08:31 PM

I have to tell you these ladies have given me such confidence, I am new, I make mistakes, but OMG this is the best web site around, everyone is friendly and helpful, keep trying.

wraez 03-15-2011 08:38 PM

Regarding quilt books, if you don't want to spend the money ... they can be pricey in my opinion, go to your local library and see what they have. Maybe see if they have any of the books that have been recommended here.

Be aware that some of the older books, as good as they once were, are outdated now cuz quilting techniques and quick tricks have evolved and improved.

I get lots of books thru my 2 county library system, lots of libraries with an abundance of books I can put on hold. Hopefully yours will too.