Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Hello everyone! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hello-everyone-t107477.html)

mimistutz 03-15-2011 04:07 AM

Welcome from Delaware. I understand how you feel being new. I had sewn since I can remember probably about 7-8 years old, but never quilted. It took me reading for over a year --- reading, reading, reading, to get brave enough to start one. That was way too long ---- sometimes reading too much just confuses your thoughts. This site is great, a book is helpful and if possible a beginners class, but don't wait, there are lots of beginner patterns depending on your likes. Start simple.
Let us see your first item.
Happy quilting.

Blinkokr 03-15-2011 04:10 AM

Welcome from Deltona, Florida
Ellen

granniegg 03-15-2011 04:16 AM

Welcome to this wonderful board of kind people. I took my non quilting neighbor to a little quilt fair and by the end of the hour, she had picked up every future fair announcement. She is so hooked and you will be too. So many great tutorials on this site.

GABBYABBY 03-15-2011 04:26 AM

Welcome to the Quilting Board!!!! You have come to
the right place to learn quilting.

Aquarius 03-15-2011 04:27 AM

The first quilt that I made was a scrappy crazy quilt. To this day, I still love them. I am actually making another one now with all my little scraps and left over fabric

libertykm 03-15-2011 04:38 AM

Some of the sites I used were.

This Blog under the SEARCH engine.
MissouriQuiltCo.com
You Tube

And last but not least my wonderful neighbor across the street. Sorry I don't loan her out. The most important part is have fun and never quilt when your tired. That's when I make most of my mistakes. Good Luck

pjselzler 03-15-2011 04:41 AM

Welcome from Sioux Falls, SD!
Definately take a class! My DH bought me a Brother SE-44 for Christmas, it is a great machine to learn on and I can quilt, sew and embroider. I began classes and have learned so much, made a beautiful beginners quilt and I am in the process of making a queen size denim rag quilt...oh and I made the patchwork jacket from the tute on this site. Having a great time, folks on here are great and have tons of wisdom!
Happy I found this site!

Crafty Chick 03-15-2011 04:41 AM

welcome from Alabama-you have come to the right place for all the help and encouragement you can take! I have learned more from this site than any class could teach me-hands on is good, but these people are tried and true!

OB 03-15-2011 04:43 AM

Welcome from NY :)

ediedarlene 03-15-2011 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by quickshelia
I want to make a throw-size quilt, how much fabric do you think i should get?

I'm in the same boat you are, didn't even know how to use a sewing machine. I bought a quilted throw on Etsy and loved it so I've decided to "copy" it in some fabrics that I love. This throw that I bought doesn't have a pattern, just random red, white and pink strips sewn together. The one I'm making is very similar. I thought this would be a good way to familiarize myself with not only my machine but with cutting and using rulers. I have decided that I prefer marking the fabric instead of using a rotary cutter, just can't seem to get the hang of it. Also, I'm getting used to making a 1/4" seam. This may seem like very basic stuff, but you have to walk before you run. And a big HOWDY & welcome from the Sooner state, Oklahoma!!!