Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help with "fill-in" blocks (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-%22fill-%22-blocks-t153012.html)

DeeDee1280 09-14-2011 06:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I am learning to quilt and have learned so much from you guys. I have made 2 quilts (lap size) and I am working on my third. I am doing the "Sister" block. I want to do this for my adopted sister and while I am pleased with the block (even though it has it's share of mistakes) I am overwhelmed by the number of pieces in this block. I tried to resize it and that didn't go so well either. The block is 17" LOL. I have 5 blocks made. I would like to put one in the 4 corners and one in the center. I am hoping for something simple to "fill-in" the rest. I do not want to take away from the blocks but really don't want to make more either (Is that being lazy?) Can anyone suggest a simple plain block that I can make for the alternate squares. My "quilting" abilities so far are stitching in the ditch, so I am thinking a plain block that big will not work. I would like to add, my 1st 2 quilts were 4 patch and I went with 4" squares. This block is a little advanced for my abilities but I loved the story behind the block and decided to try it. I think my sister will love it so that was my motivation to give it a try.

Sister Star Block
[ATTACH=CONFIG]256769[/ATTACH]

Greenheron 09-14-2011 06:13 PM

Please reconsider and make four more blocks. You will get better with the practice and have a better appearing quilt.

Cherylsea 09-14-2011 06:34 PM

You could make the four blocks from the yellow/cream and quilt the star in them??

QuiltE 09-14-2011 06:36 PM

You're doing great ... just keep with what you're doing and you'll have a beauty. It maybe seems like a lot now, though later, you will be glad you did!!! :)

sushi 09-14-2011 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Cherylsea
You could make the four blocks from the yellow/cream and quilt the star in them??

Great idea!

blueangel 09-14-2011 06:56 PM

I think you will be happier if you make more blocks.

Tartan 09-14-2011 07:04 PM

Nice looking block! If you want simple, I think I would look for a large print fabric that uses the colours from your block and put them in between.

ManiacQuilter2 09-14-2011 07:10 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I have this book in my quilt library (Marsha McCloskey's Block Party) and I refer to it quite often to find a coordinating block. I thought this might get your design juices flowing. If you don't know how to draft, I have EQ5 and could do a draft with finished size. Setting a block on point is a little more difficult but once you have the measurements, it is rather easy. A nine patch is a simple block but you can see how it compliment the Sawtooth star Hope this helps.... I have also included two other blocks that I have BOTH used. GOOD LUCK :)

Crossroad to Jericho
[ATTACH=CONFIG]256807[/ATTACH]

Puss in the Corner or Stepping Stones
[ATTACH=CONFIG]256808[/ATTACH]

MTS 09-14-2011 07:17 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Just playing - and I'm not sure of the measurements of your block so the proportions might be off a bit.

Kind of has a plaid thing going on.

I guessed the inner block was 15" and the sashing was 1" finished.

ANd my bad - I only should have the 9 blocks. Sorry.

MTS 09-14-2011 07:23 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here's the same layout with just the 9 blocks: