Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help! Am I using this product wrong? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-am-i-using-product-wrong-t200389.html)

conniemaried 09-13-2012 02:46 PM

Help! Am I using this product wrong?

Being a new quilter, I am still learning how to use all the products out there for quilters, but this one's got me beat. I am doing a kit quilt, and have to cut out 120 3x6 flying geese to fit together accurately in the main body of the quilt. I tried using the recommended ruler to cut them to no avail--I couldn't make them accurate. So I tried the Quilt in a Day Flying Geese ruler, but still couldn't keep the ruler from sliding. OK, so I ordered online some Invisigrip which is supposed to keep the ruler from sliding. It came this afternoon, applied it to my ruler and to my dismay, the ruler is as slick as ever! The invisigrip sticks good to the ruler, and as far as I can tell, can only be applied one way--it doesn't stick on the other side. Slick as ever. Have I wasted money on this product, or am I doing something wrong? At this point I feel it's bad enough to warrant a refund. Any suggestions or comments? Thanks, Connie

ArtsyOne 09-13-2012 02:58 PM

Do you have any rubber cement? A drop on each corner is supposed to make a ruler grip better. What I've done with mine is to use the cabinet door bumpers that come with Ikea cabinets and glued those to my ruler. (Ikea's are really flat, so they don't raise your ruler off the fabric.) I think you can also glue small circles of sandpaper to your ruler.

thimblebug6000 09-13-2012 03:00 PM

This may sound like a weird question, but are you placing the side of the ruler with the invisigrip next to the fabric? I have it on my rulers and they don't usually slip EXCEPT when using the 6 x 24 and then I still have to walk my hand up the ruler as I cut.

QuiltnNan 09-13-2012 03:08 PM

i'm not familiar with the invisigrip. if it is dots, is there a separate piece covering the side that is supposed to be next to the fabric... does it need peeling off?

GrannieAnnie 09-13-2012 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by conniemaried (Post 5512205)
Being a new quilter, I am still learning how to use all the products out there for quilters, but this one's got me beat. I am doing a kit quilt, and have to cut out 120 3x6 flying geese to fit together accurately in the main body of the quilt. I tried using the recommended ruler to cut them to no avail--I couldn't make them accurate. So I tried the Quilt in a Day Flying Geese ruler, but still couldn't keep the ruler from sliding. OK, so I ordered online some Invisigrip which is supposed to keep the ruler from sliding. It came this afternoon, applied it to my ruler and to my dismay, the ruler is as slick as ever! The invisigrip sticks good to the ruler, and as far as I can tell, can only be applied one way--it doesn't stick on the other side. Slick as ever. Have I wasted money on this product, or am I doing something wrong? At this point I feel it's bad enough to warrant a refund. Any suggestions or comments? Thanks, Connie

Small drops of hot glue from a glue gun work!

conniemaried 09-13-2012 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by ArtsyOne (Post 5512242)
Do you have any rubber cement? A drop on each corner is supposed to make a ruler grip better. What I've done with mine is to use the cabinet door bumpers that come with Ikea cabinets and glued those to my ruler. (Ikea's are really flat, so they don't raise your ruler off the fabric.) I think you can also glue small circles of sandpaper to your ruler.

Yes, I have the right side of the ruler to the fabric, but the backing is slick. Is there something else to peel off?

AlienQuilter 09-13-2012 03:23 PM

Little sandpaper dots are fantastic. My mother-in-law gave me a small baggie of them. They are paperbacked. Just peal the paper off and stick it to the ruler.

wishfulthinking 09-13-2012 03:40 PM

I found that the invisgrip helps slightly. Creative Grids rulers are pretty good about not slipping but I think all of them will slip some. Even my June Tailor ruler with the slits has started slipping!

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 09-13-2012 03:45 PM

The only thing to peel off on Invisgrip is the paper backing. I'm sure you did that. Invisigrip is not fool proof by any means. I like it better than any other method I've tried but it is not perfect. You have to really learn to keep you hand near where you are cutting. With long rulers you have to walk your hand as you cut.

I'm no fan of the dots either. They raise the ruler up oddly and make things difficult for me. I have them on some rulers and do use them, but I don't love them.

ckcowl 09-13-2012 03:51 PM

i've had invisagrip on my rulers for years- it helps- it really takes learning to hold your ruler - nothing is (fool proof) for keeping your ruler from sliding beyond learning the best way to use it.
(spider web) your fingers out across the top of the ruler with your pinkie on the outside-along the side of the ruler-on the table-holding the ruler secure- and as long as you have a nice sharp blade in your cutter you do not have to push hard along the edge of the ruler- it just takes some practice & will become (natural) to you as you do it more & more- with better results all the time- i've tried lots of different dots, sandpaper, felt, rubber...nothing has worked any better than the invisigrip- and i prefer it over the other options because it is see through- all the other items either cover up or distort lines somewhere.