Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   HELP any way to salvage my poor DGS quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-any-way-salvage-my-poor-dgs-quilt-t200846.html)

irishrose 09-18-2012 03:40 PM

I would not let hot water near the flannel. I've had good luck with apparel by soaking in Oxiclean.

Jan in VA 09-18-2012 07:34 PM

This is an example of why I've come to believe that wash water and detergent choice affect the release of dye as much as any other issue we know!! I recently washed a quilt at my country cottage with well water, that I had last washed with NO problems years ago in another state, and this time it 'ran'. Go figure.

Jan in VA

maryfrang 09-20-2012 04:16 AM

I have a red and white quilt and the same happened. I used Oxyclean and it took several washes but it did pull the unwanted color. I did not dry it between washes and just keep doing it again. I think it too 3 washes. I was saved.

Quiltlady330 09-20-2012 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan (Post 5524147)
there are two laundry products that i have used in the past on everyday clothes. these caused bleeding... Tide and Arm and Hammer washing soda. i won't use these products again, especially not on my quilt fabric.

I use Tide exclusively and have never had a problem. Did you possibly use the Tide with bleach?

Deborahlees 09-20-2012 10:37 AM

I would not use any poly blends, only Kona or similiar....problem was the silly flannel backing....perhaps find a nice novelty "Americana" print for backing instead of the red flannel......

But first I would try to salvage the original quilt, and I think it can be salvaged. Try Oxyclean and then Synthrapol
the bleeding will stop when it runs out of dye.....

At this time you do not have that much to loose and everything to gain by trying to salvage the original.....:shock:

Jingle 09-20-2012 01:32 PM

Always use 1-2-or3 color catchers when washing any and all quilts. They can be used more than once. I don't buy expensive fabric. Cheaper fabrics don't bleed like the more expensive fabrics.

bearisgray 09-20-2012 01:37 PM

I soak fabrics in separate containers and look at the WATER to see if it has colored.
I keep changing the water until it runs clear (or clear enough) - and if the fabric does not stop releasing dye/color, I discard it.

I had a problem with a washed fabric bleeding when I sprayed it with starch or sizing (don't remember which one it was) - if I remember correctly, they were a dark blue and a dark red RJR fabric

carol45 09-21-2012 01:29 PM

I learned on this list that it's less the problem of a bleeding fabric than the light fabric that absorbs the bleeding. Now I test my light fabrics with the darker fabrics that I want to use to see if the light fabrics absorb color from the darker ones. If they don't, then it's OK.

shelrox 09-22-2012 04:34 PM

Thank you everyone for the ideas. She did have 4 dye grabbers in there. She washed it a few times and still has colour left. She was going to try the oxi clean and see what happens but have not found out yet what she was able to do or his reaction. Afraid to ask! My poor DGS is the most honest forgiving child and I am sure he would say it is OK Grandmum didnt know it would happen. I said I would make another as soon as i am caught up on my inventory for show season.