Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   help on AOTH. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-aoth-t226936.html)

mary r 07-30-2013 10:55 PM

help on AOTH.

Do you embroider on each block before or after the quilt is made? One long armer said after.

Do you embroider on each block before or after its quilted. One long armer said after so it wouldn't interfere with the quilting. I'm at a lost as what to do. Please help. mary r

woody 07-31-2013 12:12 AM

I have embroidered each block as I have done them. I still have 6 more to go.

nabobw 07-31-2013 04:35 AM

Are you using embroidery to quilt the quilt or designs as part of the quilt? As part of the quilt I do it first but using it to quilt the quilt it is done afterwards.

ann clare 07-31-2013 04:39 AM

I embroidered each block as I did them.

Tartan 07-31-2013 05:14 AM

The picture didn't show up for me so I don't know what AOTH stands for.

feline fanatic 07-31-2013 05:27 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I too do not know what AOTH stands for but as a LA quilter who has done several hand ebroidered quilts and one machine embroidered quilt and done a little hand embroidery myself, I embroider when the block is still just a block, not even sewn into the quilt top yet. I can't imagine an embroidery machine handling the bulk of a completed quilt very well while trying to embroider a design but I guess it can be done because many people use digitized machine embroider motifs to do the actual quilting.

Sounds to me like the LA quilter who gave you this advice can only do pantos. A custom quilting job can avoid the heavily embroidered areas which could cause the LA machine to not be happy going through that heavy bulk. Hand embroidery should also be custom quilted but I have seen many examples that look quite good of quilting going right over the embroidery. (Like a cross hatch) I tend to quilt around it because I want the quilting to be secondary to the embroidery work.

Here are some examples of custom quilting around embroidery.

This is where I went around Machine embroidery, quilting over this would not have looked nice nor would my machine have like it:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]427346[/ATTACH]

Here is an example of quilting around hand embroidery to enhance and compliment, but I have seen an allover cross hatch done on this kind of embroidery done very effectively:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]427347[/ATTACH]

mighty 07-31-2013 06:37 AM

I do not know what AOTH stands for. I embroider my blocks first.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 07-31-2013 06:45 AM

AOTH= Affairs of the Heart

mckwilter 07-31-2013 07:10 AM

help on AOTH

2 Attachment(s)
Here are the two Affairs of the Heart blocks I have done so far. As you can see, the gold thread is hand embroidered. If I ever finish these, I will QAYG each block before joining them together. I believe I enlarged the patterns slightly so that they are 8-1/2" blocks.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]427387[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]427388[/ATTACH]

feline fanatic 07-31-2013 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter (Post 6206884)
AOTH= Affairs of the Heart

Ah, thank you Lisa. The embroidery on Affairs of the Heart is mostly stem stitch to do the curly-q vines and such. A well done stem stitch should not interfere with LA quilting, either custom or E2E. And the quilting, if done with a fine enough thread could easily go right over that embroidery and not detract from it. In this case I think it is completely up to the OP. If it were mine I would embroider while the top is still a flimsy (unquilted) because it would be much easier to knot off and look much better on the back if done before quilting.