Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   help with applique (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-applique-t36063.html)

many craft person 02-05-2010 08:36 AM

Does anyone have any good ideas for turning the edges on a dresden plate pattern?

My aunt left many precut pieces for the dresden plate and they are made for 20" blocks with 20 of the pieces to each plate and the center(which she didn't cut).

littlehud 02-05-2010 08:39 AM

I didn't turn under the edges. I machine appliqued them.

redrummy 02-05-2010 08:40 AM

I starch, and press under edges using a templete to get same amount turned under. I use a dritz ezy hem 5x9'' metal heming guide to turn over the starched egde and press onto. I found it at a garage sale, and love it.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 02-05-2010 08:43 AM

Some people use very light weight interfacing. Sew it on. Leave an opening and then turn. You can then applique it on using invisible thread if you don't want it to show.

dglvr 02-05-2010 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by littlehud
I didn't turn under the edges. I machine appliqued them.

Thats what I would do too. Easier. I also don't know how to do the turn under method very well. :-D

many craft person 02-05-2010 09:48 AM

Thanks everyone - I may try every one of your suggestions and see which is best :lol:

ckcowl 02-05-2010 09:59 AM

if you want to do 'needle-turn' applique i use a wooden toothpick, put it in your mouth, it needs to be wet...and use this to roll your edges under to stitch...nice itty bitty stitches and perfect results :) "that patchwork place" has a good tutorial, and i believe there are a couple on here, also check utube for tutorials that help.
good luck, it only takes a little practice

Rainbow 02-06-2010 09:19 AM

One good way to do ANY applique is to place very light fabric - right sides together with dresden plate piece on top. Stitch around the ENTIRE PIECE. Cut a slit in the backing and turn all...press the two, being sure the very light fabric does not show. Blind stitch the finished edge of the dresden plate to the background.

Cut and wew on the center circle before or after you sew on the backing.

My sister uses this method when she is appliqueing ANY odd-shaped pieces, that way she gets good curves at all time, sewing all the way around, cutting the slit in the back, and turning She also does this with FUSIBLE FABRIC,
1) Fusing right sides together (putting the final placement of the fusible to the backing) or
2) Fusing wrong side of fusible to the right side of applique (putting the final placement of the fusible to the applique side. Method 2 will give a "pressed look" to the applique.
Try it, you will become a believer !!!!!!!!!!!!

gamby 02-06-2010 09:29 AM

used dryer fabric softner sheets work very good for turning applique pieces, stitch to the right side fabric and turn
ruby in ms

many craft person 02-06-2010 11:01 AM

Rainbow, thanks for the help. I am trying the interfacing thing, it seems to be working very well.