Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   help!!!!! Automatic thread cutter (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-automatic-thread-cutter-t259981.html)

dflynn 01-19-2015 05:53 PM

help!!!!! Automatic thread cutter

I bought a Janome 8900 last August. I used this machine very little due to physical illness. I started to piece together a table topper last week. I saw that when I use the automatic thread cutter and start a new seam the thread is catching in the new seam. This is causing problem with the seam lying straight due the bunch of thread in the seam line. I went to the dealer and showed some sample of what it was doing. It is worse when I am using the 1/4 inch seam. The machine in the store also did this but not as bad as mine. I want to know if anybody else has this problem with the automatic thread cutter. I was told to not use the thread cutter if it was causing me problems.. Well one of the reason I BOUGHT THIS MACHINE WAS FOR THE CUTTER. I tried to take a picture but couldn't get a good shot.

Veinurse 01-19-2015 05:59 PM

Sorry, I have an 8200 and have never had that problem. I love that feature but sometimes it does not cut the thread. I would want it to work.

sewwhat85 01-19-2015 06:00 PM

my 6600 does that also and I was told the same thing. If i understand you when using the thread cutter and when starting the next seam starts with a thread bunch on the under side

GailG 01-19-2015 06:07 PM

Well that was a coward's way out for the dealer to tell you to just not use the feature! I do hope you find a favorable solution to this problem.

citruscountyquilter 01-19-2015 06:13 PM

I have a 8900. What might be happening is that when you use the thread cutter it cuts the threads quite short and the bobbin thread often times barely comes up through the hole. In order for me to grab the bobbin thread I take a stiletto and run it under the raised presser foot and it releases the bobbin thread so I can grab hold of it with my finger tips and pull a longer tail out. What might be happening for you is that if you don't pull a bit of the thread up after cutting, that short piece of thread is bunching up when you start to sew again. I have seen comments from others who have a variety of machines that they use tweezers to grab the thread and pull it up to get more of a lead on it before they begin sewing again. Try pulling a bit of thread up before starting sewing again and see if that solves the problem.

Gramie bj 01-19-2015 06:16 PM

I also have the 8900, had some problems with the thread cutter to begin with. Not the same as yours, but discovered that I was just barely touching the knee lift, not enough to engage lift. When I changed how I was holding my right leg everything started working right. If your dealer can't or won't help I would contact another dealer quick before you warranty runs out. Every feature on the machine should work correctly, as advertised, if not get your $3,000 back!

petthefabric 01-19-2015 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by GailG (Post 7055114)
Well that was a coward's way out for the dealer to tell you to just not use the feature!

I agree. That rat's tale of thread wouldn't be acceptable to me either. And MY OPINION (and everyone is allowed to have one) if I had to stop and pull up the thread every time I use the thread cutter-well that's more trouble than cutting the threads with a pair of scissors. I would send a complaint to the manufacturer with a CC to the dealer. Actually I have the same problem but haven't thought to go beyond the dealer until now. Thank you for voicing this frustration.

dflynn 01-19-2015 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by sewwhat85 (Post 7055103)
my 6600 does that also and I was told the same thing. If i understand you when using the thread cutter and when starting the next seam starts with a thread bunch on the under side

yes, that was what I was trying to explain.

Gay 01-19-2015 06:54 PM

I also have this problem with my Brothers, but it's the top thread being drawn underneath and knotting. Maybe your machine cuts the top too long, though if it's cut too short it won't pick up the bottom thread to sew. I have developed a knack of pulling my pieces out to the left side, while cutting, with the foot barely lifted, and the top thread becomes fixed under the foot. Or try sliding your fabric under the foot sideways instead of from the front, with the foot almost down, so the top thread is caught at the side and held down. That should prevent it from being drawn beneath and tangling. You may have to hold the thread firmly for a few stitches. I also use a knee lift - love it. Hope this helps

dflynn 01-19-2015 07:07 PM

After cutting the thread , I can not see the bobbin thread at all. I think when I first got the machine, I did see a short thread but not now. I can't try to pull the thread longer because no thread is showing.