Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help with backing that is waterproof (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-backing-waterproof-t255506.html)

cowgirlquilter 10-19-2014 05:11 AM

Help with backing that is waterproof

I am posting for a friend who is a quilter. She wants to use a waterproof backing. Any suggestions..........thanks so much!!!!!!!

PaperPrincess 10-19-2014 05:29 AM

If you want it to remain waterproof, you can't quilt through it. Every stitch is a little hole that will let water thru. If you want to preserve that waterproof quality, you can quilt it with a different backing, then add the waterproof fabric and either bind or pillowcase. This only works for smallish quilts as the backing does shift a bit. Good for picnic quilts.

ManiacQuilter2 10-19-2014 05:46 AM

PaperPrincess is correct. When you start quilting, the needle and thread will make tiny holes in the backing. I have never heard of anyone wanting to waterproof the backing of a quilt. If a quilt has an accident, it can always be easily washed.

Tartan 10-19-2014 06:32 AM

There is a fabric that they use for backing changing pads and diapers called PUL but the needle holes of quilting will not keep it water proof.

quilt1950 10-19-2014 07:48 AM

I've never tested this, but I've been told that the sewing holes will close up when the PULS goes thru the dryer, thereby making it waterproof.

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 6934793)
There is a fabric that they use for backing changing pads and diapers called PUL but the needle holes of quilting will not keep it water proof.

PaperPrincess 10-19-2014 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by quilt1950 (Post 6934919)
I've never tested this, but I've been told that the sewing holes will close up when the PULS goes thru the dryer, thereby making it waterproof.

Thanks Tartan & quilt 1950 for posting your comments. Didn't know this feature about PUL & thought that it would leak like other plasticized fabrics. I did some research and found out a couple of things. The bottom line is that not all PUL fabric is created equal. You need to know the name of the mfg and check their site to see if/how you can seal it. Some you seal once in a hot dryer for x number of minutes, some you need to do this every so often and others you can't put in a hot dryer at all, so it really doesn't seal. I guess check before you purchase. I'm interested because I'd like to make a waterproof picnic quilt but have been stuck on how to keep the damp out.

Jim's Gem 10-19-2014 01:27 PM

A dear friend just made a picnic quilt for her grandson's. She use the PUL fabric and did quilt thru it. It has been washed and thrown thru the dryer but we have not heard from her son whether it has been waterproof. I'm not sure if they have had a chance to use it.
There was an issue sandwiching (layering) the quilt. the batting kept just sliding off of the PUL fabric. She use 505 spray baste to hold it all together.

ube quilting 10-19-2014 01:44 PM

Why water proof?

Take a plastic tarp and lay it under the quilt. It is cheap and can be hosed off. That is what I do.
peace

PaperPrincess 10-20-2014 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by ube quilting (Post 6935342)
Why water proof?
Take a plastic tarp and lay it under the quilt. It is cheap and can be hosed off. That is what I do.
peace

It's sort of funny, we have a cottage on a lake, so the grass is always a bit damp. The lawn slopes down to the water and we tried to put a plastic tarp under the quilt, but there's just enough slope that the tarp stayed put but the blanket (and occupants) kept sliding down the hill.

SueSew 10-20-2014 05:25 AM

Supposedly there is similar product for use in roof/deck flashing which magically seals up around itself. I would like to see it it works!

I wonder if you could put that Scotch-Guard spray on it, or one of those waterproofing sprays you can put on boots.

Great use for a UFO! :) Test it out and see..