Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help! Bailey's Home Quilter? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-baileys-home-quilter-t64789.html)

kristen0112 09-14-2010 07:11 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I finally got my machine back from the repair shop and still haven't had success. Here is what I have done

Set my machine on the tracks, double checked the threading
pulled the bobbin thread up
made sure that the presser foot lever is down
I put the stitch regulator on slow
I press the start button it begins stitching and I try moving it and then it jams up.

CoyoteQuilts 09-14-2010 07:26 PM

2 Attachment(s)
If you are trying to stitch the fabric the way it is loaded on your poles in the picture I would say that is one of the problems. The back pole that is under the machine needs to be wound the opposite way. Your fabric is way to loose. Probably your front pole is suppose to wound the opposite way also so that you are quilting 'in the well'. Here is a pic of my set up, it has the back pole the way yours should look, but I choose to have my front pole different. I float my batting and top so that is why it is looser than the backing.

Just the backing loaded
[ATTACH=CONFIG]107945[/ATTACH]

All 3 layers
[ATTACH=CONFIG]107946[/ATTACH]

kristen0112 09-14-2010 07:50 PM

Thank you!!!! I will try that in the morning. I think I am too stressed out to go back and try working with it.

Shelley 09-14-2010 07:50 PM

Start with Sharon's suggestions.

It also looks like your top tension is wayyy loose. Do you have a Towa gauge for the bobbin? It will give you a numeric starting place to start balancing your tension. In other words, you don't have to go by feel to make sure your bottom tension is right. Different bobbins will run differently, as will different threads. I bought a box of 100 bobbins, and no two run exactly the same. By using the Towa gauge, I can adjust my tension so that I run the same tension despite different bobbins. A bobbin in the bobbin case will run different inside the machine (where the spring is engaged) than when it is outside the machine (where the spring is not engaged). The Towa mimics the bobbin case in the machine.

HTH!!

LastGrandma 09-14-2010 08:02 PM

Yahoo has a Bailey Quilt group you might want to look through and maybe even join. I have a Bailey and the learning curve is very steep, but well worth it! Can't tell from your pics what is causing the nest on the underside. Sorry....

grammiepamie 09-14-2010 08:43 PM

Look at picture 2. The purple thread in the bobbin case needs to catch that little hook on the shuttle I believe.

ChubbyBunny 09-14-2010 09:33 PM

Are your feed dogs down? Stitch width and length on "0". And yes, your quilt is loaded wrong on the frame. Hang in there, kiddo!

kristen0112 09-15-2010 10:31 AM

3 Attachment(s)
YEAH! Success! At least until I broke the needle. I looked at Sharon's pictures they were very helpful. I am a visual learner I think the older I get the more visually I learn its bad. I took the fabric off the leaders and reloaded it the correct way (having to come back to my computer screen several times to make sure). Then I took the caught thread out of the bobbin area and pulled the thread up and gave it another try. It nested I was about to cry and give up for the day when I decided I would try again. I did and realized I had left the foot up. I moved it over just a bit and started again and it worked! I think I was shocked at first. Here's some of the pictures I took of my first quilting on my machine.
I didn't take a picture of the back but it looks nice too.
The fabric might be a little loose? It's the same fabric I had on it when I had to cut a chunk out to take the machine to the repair shop I trimmed it up with scissors it's not straight on the end.

I am glad I put the purple thread it shows up nicely on the white fabric
[ATTACH=CONFIG]110060[/ATTACH]

LastGrandma 09-15-2010 11:22 AM

Another problem could be that when you thread the machine the top thread is not getting in between the discs in the tension area. Just another place to check when you know you have the foot down!

trif 09-15-2010 11:32 AM

I'm so glad it's finally coming together for you, as a fellow Bailey owner, once you build a good bond you will find it was worth all the sweat and tears! I know cause I had a hard learning curve as well and still learning but worth it. Have fun quilting.