Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help with best ruler for cutting dark fabrics (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-best-ruler-cutting-dark-fabrics-t257420.html)

Ladyjanedoe 11-27-2014 09:17 AM

Help with best ruler for cutting dark fabrics

Happy Thanksgiving ,ladies. I am posting today asking for help in finding a ruler ( preferably 24" x 36" ) that will help in cutting dark fabrics. I am having a hard time seeing the ruler markings on my standard yellow Olfa rulers.( I don't use the mat markings for cutting , but it's green Olfa in case that makes a difference) . The ruler that appears to be the problem. I see different colored ones ,but I was hoping for some feedback on which ones are effective. I don't want to buy another ruler I won't use :)

Is there a brand you like best? I think it's a good time to look for one with the Friday sales coming up.

Thank you and God bless.

ckcowl 11-27-2014 09:28 AM

I have never seen a ruler 24" X 36".... Are you asking about a cutting mat? I have a 6" X 24" ruler with yellow lines, they show up well on dark fabric. I have a ( table sized- 35" X60") cutting mat which is white with blue lines, purchased at Joanne's when on sale

gigi712 11-27-2014 09:39 AM

Creative Grids ruler, you can't go wrong with that ruler using any color of fabric.

PaperPrincess 11-27-2014 09:46 AM

Another thing you can do is get some tape and place it on the bottom of the ruler along the line you want to cut. You can easily see the edge of the tape and there's even less of a possibility of a cutting error because you aren't constantly looking for a specific measurement. Put it on the bottom of the ruler for precision if you put it on the top, you may get different size cuts when looking thru the thickness of the ruler. I've used different colors of electrical tape & blue printer's tape. Just remove it immediately to avoid any sticky residue.

Barb in Louisiana 11-27-2014 10:16 AM

When in doubt, go to a store that has the ruler you are thinking about and go lay it on dark fabric. Can you see the lines well enough to be accurate in cutting fabric?

QuiltnNan 11-27-2014 04:59 PM

my favorite ruler is fluorescent and laser etched. i picked it up at a quilt show and the seller is no longer in business. but if you google fluorescent quilt rulers, you will find some. the color is easy to see no matter what color the fabric and the laser cut lines are thin, but also easy to see.

Ladyjanedoe 11-27-2014 09:19 PM

Oh! Yes, indeed, you are correct. I did make an error. Evidently my poor vision has now translated into poor typing, too :)

T

Ladyjanedoe 11-27-2014 09:20 PM

Thank you for the replies. I will do as Barb suggested and try out a few with a dark background. They say the best solution is often times the easiest. Not sure why I didn't think of that!

But I do very much appreciate all the feedback.

Dolphyngyrl 11-27-2014 09:45 PM

I like plain black markings like creative grids, but that's just me.

ManiacQuilter2 11-28-2014 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by Ladyjanedoe (Post 6986744)
Oh! Yes, indeed, you are correct. I did make an error. Evidently my poor vision has now translated into poor typing, too :) T

Yes, typing errors do occur more often with poor vision. I am in the same boat as you are. I like the spell check that is on Firefox. But I am still able to cut accurately with my Omnigrip rulers.