Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help! Blueberry stain... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-blueberry-stain-t143988.html)

Borgie3 08-09-2011 07:15 PM

Now that I've calmed down I can ask for help. My dear husband was eating some apricot-blueberry cobbler WHILE SITTING ON THE BED ON THE QUILT. Who does that? Can you guess what happened? Yep. Any ideas on how to remove blueberry stain from light colored fabric? I took cold water & laundry soap to it right away but so far it's not coming out. Any advice is welcome. Hub feels terrible, he loves the quilt, helped picked out the fabric for it. Guess I should go let him know his life is no longer in danger. Thanks for any help.

Moonpi 08-09-2011 07:19 PM

Soak it in Era or another enzyme detergent, at least overnight.

Tartan 08-09-2011 07:23 PM

The best thing I have found for fruits stains is to run hot water from the kettle through the spot. I have only done this on clothes but not a quilt. Try it on a fabric scrap first if you have one.

nat the cat 08-09-2011 07:35 PM

Recently while on vacation in Maine I dropped blueberry pie filling on a pair of khaki shorts which I needed to wear for several days. We stopped at a grocery store and bought a Tide stain stick. It took quite a bit of applying and rubbing but it took all the blueberry stain's color out with no washing. I'm a real believer now.

craftybear 08-09-2011 07:55 PM

yes, I love the tide stain stick

Originally Posted by nat the cat
Recently while on vacation in Maine I dropped blueberry pie filling on a pair of khaki shorts which I needed to wear for several days. We stopped at a grocery store and bought a Tide stain stick. It took quite a bit of applying and rubbing but it took all the blueberry stain's color out with no washing. I'm a real believer now.

countrycottage 08-09-2011 08:01 PM

I used to do the boiling water method on my daughter's baby outfits. Anything with a white collar fell victim to stubborn stains. I would stretch the spotted area over a bowl and carefully pour boiling water over the spot. Most of the time, it would fade right away. Of course, on a color, you would want to test for colorfastness. I even used this method on English Walnut stain with success. Good luck!

LindaM 08-09-2011 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan
The best thing I have found for fruits stains is to run hot water from the kettle through the spot. I have only done this on clothes but not a quilt. Try it on a fabric scrap first if you have one.

Ditto! When I took my little ones with me blueberry picking, we came back with my one daughter literally blue all over. Poured boiling water over the clothes, fruit stains came right out.

Hopefully you can arrange the area with the stain over a sink and pour from the kettle right onto the quilt.

PaperPrincess 08-10-2011 04:37 AM

Sounds like a great place for an applique to me!

Raggiemom 08-10-2011 04:40 AM

I never heard of pouring boiling hot water on a stain before, thanks for the tip. I've gotten different berries on clothes and used Oxy Clean spray and that has worked very well.

ghostrider 08-10-2011 04:51 AM

Wow, whatever happened to "hot water sets stains"?? We use heat to set all sorts of inks, paints, dyes, etc...why would it suddenly be good for removing a natural dye like blueberry???

I'd go with Oxy Clean or some other enzyme cleaner, but if you've already boiled it or run it through the dryer and it's still there, I think you may be stuck with it.

eta: My grandmother used to use hydrogen peroxide on fruit stains and it worked well (she grew blueberries and cherries). Be sure to rinse well afterwards.