Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   HELP!!! THE BOBBIN! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-bobbin-t60703.html)

Alu_Rathbone 08-21-2010 09:11 PM

I have one bobbin to my name, I believe I started out with five or six but I am down to one. (Damn cats always stealing my things) So I don't have a second one to wind to see if it is just this particular bobbin.

I rewound a bobbin (Put on new thread) and now I can't get the thread to catch the bobbin thread once loaded. I don't know what happened... I tried flipping it over to no avail. I have a LOT of things to get done before Wednesday morning, and this is not a good time at all for the machine to not cooperate. What should I do? (Lets remember that this is my first machine ever and I'm still very new at this!)

Thank you!

mbogenpohl 08-21-2010 09:16 PM

What type of machine do you have?

Alu_Rathbone 08-21-2010 09:17 PM

It's a Brother CS6000i. I should have put that in the first post! lol sorry!

mbogenpohl 08-21-2010 09:22 PM

Make sure your bobbin casing isn't nicked on the outer edges and make sure you have all the link cleaned out in that area. Is your thread on your bobbin wound properly? Try these things this happened to me with my brother and the casing had notches out of it so the bobbin wouldn't word properly!

Alu_Rathbone 08-21-2010 09:26 PM

I'll give it a check. I hope that this is the case, I think I may know where one of my other bobbins is located, it's just a guess, but I'll do that. Thanks!

JJs 08-21-2010 09:28 PM

and make sure you have it threaded correctly - sometimes it helps to have the book in front of you and follow the little pictures - sounds simplistic I know, but if you have the thread going from the bottom and it's supposed to go over the top you won't get stitch one..

Sadiemae 08-21-2010 09:44 PM

If you go to the Brother website you can ask a technician. I don't know if they are there all of the time, but I would try and see. It can't hurt anything, but take a few minutes of your time.

Prism99 08-22-2010 08:28 AM

Is this a metal bobbin or a plastic bobbin? In either case, over-filling can cause problems; there should be no thread past the edge of the bobbin top/bottom.

Plastic bobbins especially can distort if filled with too much thread. If it's a plastic bobbin, try taking off one-fifth to one-quarter of the thread.

Did you go at top speed to fill the bobbin? It is better to go at a moderate speed so the thread is not enticed to stretch on its way to the bobbin, then spring back once it is on (and add to pressure distorting the plastic bobbin).

amma 08-22-2010 08:48 AM

Plastic bobbins can also get nicks and burrs on them, some machines won't form stitches properly when this happens.

Alu_Rathbone 08-22-2010 09:59 AM

It's a plastic bobbin, and I didn't know doing that at top speed would do that... I haven't looked at it yet, but I will in a little bit...