Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   help with bobbins messing up (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-bobbins-messing-up-t291671.html)

cashs_mom 10-05-2017 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by giquilt (Post 7920182)
Also make sure the needle is in the right position. Featherweight 's needle is side ways. I have heard Singer needles are a tad shorter than others.

That's interesting. I'd never heard that. I used Schmetz needles in my Singers and they seem to work fine.

quiltedsunshine 10-05-2017 06:57 PM

Featherweights thread from right to left. The flat side of the needle will face to the left. Make sure your top tension is set at 3, then adjust from there.

I've learned that Singer needles have a slightly smaller shaft at the top. I didn't know they were a bit shorter. I'll have to check that out.

We use Schmetz needles when we service Featherweights.

Homespun 10-06-2017 02:59 AM

Loops on the back are a problem with the top thread. Make sure thread is between the tension discs.

cindyb 10-06-2017 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom (Post 7920176)
I suddenly had the same problem with my 301. I unthreaded, took the bobbin out and cleaned it, put the bobbin back in the casing rethreaded, still had a problem. Did it all again and got the flashlight so I made sure I got everything out of the bobbin area. Rethreaded again, put the bobbin in the casing again. Oh, and I put a new needle in the first time I did this whole thing. Everything was fine. I guess I just had a bit of lint or thread stuck in the bobbin area. You have to clean really well in that area. Just a tiny bit in the wrong place messes things up.

A clean bobbin area is so important. I had this problem, adjusted all my tensions and nothing worked. I thought, what the heck and decided to dig into the bobbin area, disassembling the entire thing down to bare bones (scared I wouldn't be able to get it back) Lo and behold - ton of lint. I have since changed to lint free thread in my bobbins and clean 1st of every month. I'm a happy camper.

SusieQOH 10-06-2017 05:56 AM

Very true- lint can cause all kinds of problems.
Have you ever visited the Featherweight shop? It's a great place for all things Featherweight. The owners are wonderful as well.

https://singer-featherweight.com/

check out the link called Schoolhouse- it's a treasure trove of tips to maintain and fix things.

Dolphyngyrl 10-06-2017 09:01 AM

Try retreading, birds nest can be created from improper threading even when you thinks it's done correctly. I had this problem in my embroidery machine and it took me forever to figure it out because I know how to thread my machine I always assume it's never a threading problem but it still can be. And don't assume it's retreading just the bobbin either

Cari-in-Oly 10-06-2017 10:03 AM

Having this same issue with two very different machines makes me think operator error not something wrong with the machines. The first thing I thought of is something that hasn't been brought up. You said "they both have big loops on the back of the material, then they won't pick up the bobbin thread or the thread tangles." Not putting the presser foot down will cause these symptoms in any sewing machine.

Cari

MsHeirloom 10-06-2017 12:06 PM

I have been known to put the bobbin in upside down. My machines don't like that!

rryder 10-06-2017 05:06 PM

I’ve gotten the same results a time or two because I forgot to lower the presser foot when FMQ...

Rob

juliea9967 10-07-2017 05:17 AM

Everytime I have this problem it is because the top thread is not in the tension discs. Be sure and thread your machine with your presser foot up, and don't lower the presser foot until you are ready to thread the needle. This makes sure the tension discs are open when you are threading, and when you lower the presser foot it tightens the tension discs.

Originally Posted by donnai (Post 7920008)
Help am down two machines doing the same thing. They both have big loops on the backof the material. then they either wont pick up the bobbin thread or get tangled. I know the singer quantum has to go to shop I am hoping some one can help with the featherweight along with loops and rats nest it seems to stop moving forward. thanks in advance for any help